• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Love my samsung but!

After having the iPhone for 4 years I got really used to it. I bought the newest iPhone but returned it. I wanted something newer so I got the Captivate. So far I love it! Better than the iPhone 4. The only thing that I don't like is the ease the iPhone has. Music ,video and games was easily transferred. On my samsung it's hard for me and feel like giving up. I'm not to computer savvy so I need help in the following areas. Thanks!

1. Music ,I have tons of music on iTunes.. I got some of them over using Doubletwist but on the audio no cover art. Wh at other choices do I have or what is the fix?

2.email. I cannot get my email I had on my iPhone on the samsung. I have verizon.net and cannot get it to work. I tried logging in and even in manual set up and still not able too. I have yahoo.com app but it's a bit slow. What's the fix?

3.zune music. That got transferred by drop and drag. That has the covert art but the music won't play. I get this message saying license rights expire. What's the fix?

4. Videos ,how can I get them to my Sammy? Like the digital copies that come with a bluray?

5. Sd card, if i want music or games transferred to the external card ,how is it done?

6. Thanks for your help and hoping I can get these things figured out so I can stay with this phone.

Let me just say, iPhone, Verizon email, Yahoo email, Google OS phone, Zune. YOu're all over the place lol

Make sure your usb settings are set to ask on connection or mass storage. Connection your usb to computer and select mass storage. Copy and paste media files to your media folder on the drive.

Eject from computer via taskbar icon, turn of usb in the notifications drawer. Phone will scan for the new media.

For videos, make sure they are the right quality and size. Handbrake can transform your video files.

You want 720p video quality and if you want, make it the same res as the Captivate [480 x 800]

And just copy and paste it to the media directory.

Use the above post's app to download album art. Personally I don't worry about art but it's nice to see it.

Did you try the email app for yahoo instead?

Your Zune music might be DRM locked? much like iTunes bought music requires an iTunes account activation. Maybe, IDK much about Zune store

Upvote 0
what i would recommend doing is transferring all of your music and album art to windows media player. set the captivate to the samsung kies settings and the windows media player will allow you to sync all of your music and album art to the phone. now i dont know if that is going to work with zune music... so if not sorry lol

Upvote 0
I came from the iPhone too. I had a hell of a time getting used to it and transfering all my stuff over.

The iSyncer app worked very well for transfering music, album art, and your playlists over. Just DL the app, install it, fire it up, plug your phone in, start iTunes and it works just the same way your old iPhone did. It works for Podcasts too. The only thing it wont do is tranfer VIDEO you bought thru iTunes since Apple locks them down (DRM)

Transfering video works just like you would if you were using a flash drive. Plug in, put the phone in mass storage mode, mount the card, and drag/drop the files in. To keep organized, I made a video folder in my media folder and put them there. Handbreak (as mentioned before) is a good free program for encoding the videos any way you like.

Email: I cant help too much there. I use Gmail and it works pretty good on this phone. But I am sure "there's an app for that" that works good.

For transfering stuff to an external card, either creat folders on it to use the phone to transfer them over, or, take the card out of the phone, plug it in to your computer, and put them on that way.

One thing that really helped me get used to the Captivate. I stopped thinking of it as a phone. Its a pocket computer that makes phone calls. Unlike iPhone, YOU get to pick how to use it. You can make your ui look and act any way you want (with something like launcherpro). Put whatever shortcuts you want in your dock. Use widgets ( facebook, twitter, Beautiful widgets, etc) to keep permanant feed on your homescreen to stay up to date with your most important things. Use programs like NES SNES emulators to play oldschool nintendo games on it. Enjoy free voice nav. and voice search features (google voice, or vlingo). There is so much you can do with these things you just cant to with the iPhone. Have fun, make it YOUR phone and enjoy the freedom outside the Apple box!

Upvote 0
I actually have found the Captivate to be tons easier than the iPhone to get music and video onto the device. With the iPhone, you were restricted by what the finicky iTunes felt like letting you do. With the Captivate, you just copy it over as easy as dragging a file from one folder to another. Plus the Captivate plays more video and audio formats to boot.

For email... remember that Verizon and Yahoo really don't want you checking your email other ways except through their website. Verizon's deal with Yahoo complicates things even more. It's almost always better to us an email service that's untethered to your ISP. I use an independent email service (that I pay for, since email is important enough to my daily life to not settle for the issues with free email)... this allows me full IMAP access to my mailbox, which I then access with K-9 on my Captivate, Mozilla Thunderbird on my PCs, or web access on someone else's computer.

Album art is always a pain since there's not just one standard way to do album art. What works with one app/player might not work in another.

The crippled digital copies that come with Bluray are designed to only work on certain devices, like a Windows or Mac PC, or sometimes the iPhone. These are encrypted and crippled files and so unless they've decided to let you play it on something, you can't. Welcome to the world of DRM. Make your life easier saving much headache and just pick up the (used) DVD edition of whatever you want for cheap even if you already have the Blu-Ray, so that you have an easy master to use and put on whatever portable device you wish to play it on.

Same with Zune music. The DRM screws you. Same with the older iPhone music which had DRM but it sounds like you maybe hopped on-board after they started offering DRM-free songs (and jacked the prices as a result).

Copying music and other data to the SD card is simple and can be done with any of the various file managers for Android or on your PC while you have the Captivate hooked up via USB. Games and apps are another matter... really going to have to wait until Android 2.2 "Froyo" for that one.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones