• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Low Battery Warning Stopped

Did you recently get a version update to Android? I haven't seen or heard a low battery warning/pop-up since Android 9. They have taken it away, only having the battery icon turning amber when it gets around 15% is your only clue.

I guess Google or OEMs figured with batteries lasting a lot longer these days, people would just plug it in long before it got low enough to matter. either that or everyone hated the low battery sound so much that it got yanked out. It was using the same sound as Android 2.2 for years. The last phone I have that makes the sound and shows the pop-up is my Galaxy S5, which has Android 6.0. The sound is identical to the same low battery warning sound on Android 2.2.

Upvote 0
No
Did you recently get a version update to Android? I haven't seen or heard a low battery warning/pop-up since Android 9. They have taken it away, only having the battery icon turning amber when it gets around 15% is your only clue.

I guess Google or OEMs figured with batteries lasting a lot longer these days, people would just plug it in long before it got low enough to matter. either that or everyone hated the low battery sound so much that it got yanked out. It was using the same sound as Android 2.2 for years. The last phone I have that makes the sound and shows the pop-up is my Galaxy S5, which has Android 6.0. The sound is identical to the same low battery warning sound on Android 2.2.
No no updates available or automatically downloaded either. The battery icon doesn't change color either. Very frustrating when all of a sudden it just goes dark and says battery empty shutting down. Sometimes it's still at 30+ percent. Thanks though.

Upvote 0
Your LG Rebel 4 LTE phone is a Tracfone, carrier-locked, 5yr old model with relatively low hardware specs and running an out-of-date version on Android:
Before you try to do something that replace the battery or spend anything to 'upgrade' this phone, you might want to just save your money and put it aside to help pay for a newer, more capable phone instead. There are a number of 'budget-class' phones that are just as capable or more so.
Carrier-unlocked models will cost a bit more but allow you a lot more flexibility to switch between different carriers, but if that's not something you care about, buying a carrier-locked model from the carrier can involve a significant up-front discount when you don't mind locking yourself into a contract.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones