• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Low-space G1 won't start up

For the last couple of days I've gotten "low space" messages and aside from
clearing the browser cache I didn't do anything to address it. Today I tried viewing something with the browser and it shut down and then crashed each time I tried starting it. I restarted the phone -- and it won't start up again. It gets to the shiny "android" screen, shows motion for a while then locks up with the "android" logo showing.

Could this be related to running out of local space? Can I mount the internal drive with a USB cable and a laptop to remove stuff, without being able to boot the phone to approve the mounting?

Please let us know if you find a solution. I would contact Tmobile for assistance if your phone is still not booting.

I believe Android can be reloaded with the procedure described on this forum for loading updates. Do you by any chance have an update.zip file on your SD card?

Upvote 0
When you figure it out you need to set up apps 2 sd.
Instead of using your phones memory it will use your SD card to store apps . Very Hand IMO.
it's my understanding that the G1 won't let you do that, which was part of the problem. I bit the bullet and wiped the internal memory, so the phone's working again. How do I tell it to store apps on the SD card?

Upvote 0
it's my understanding that the G1 won't let you do that, which was part of the problem. I bit the bullet and wiped the internal memory, so the phone's working again. How do I tell it to store apps on the SD card?

Our phones are little computers.
If you have time to learn and program it it can do anything.
First you need to root your phone then
install a rom that has the apps2sd program in it.
I use Linux to partition my SD card.
So I take my 8gb sd card and make it 6GB . I use the other 2GB as internal memory for my phone.

If you can figure out how to install this it has apps2sd programed into it as long as you partion you SD card.
http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php/Main_Page#How_do_I_upgrade_to_the_latest_CyanogenMod.3F

Here is good site that shows you in video how to do that
HTC G1/Dream | The Unlockr

Follow there steps and you will have aps2sd and many other things . My G1 is a hot spot for laptops / its overclocked/ its programed if it receives a certain text message it will tell me its gps location if I lose it . Our phones are the shiznit!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones