• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

LTE Tiered Data To Begin July 7th

By saying "now" were they once treated differently? Thanks

If I remember correctly, they had smartphone/blackberry unlimited data plans and another unlimited data plan for non smartphones for phones with html browsers. This was way back when I first purchased the moto q from verizon. I never did quite get it because they both cost the same but they still listed them as different feature options.

Reactions: jgoldy608
Upvote 0
The year before with the voyager it wasn't a requirement to have a data plan on the phone. The next year there was with the Env Touch. That is just how it is. Companies are allowed to change pricing and policies as they so see fit. They are a for profit company. Do I like it much? Not really. But I am for capitalism and a free market.

You are definitely allowed to pay the etf on your line(s) and switch companies if you don't like it that much. But go to any other cell provider forum and you will see the same sorts of rants. All of them changing something or other that people are ticked off about. They are all for profit companies and deal with their bottom line first. It's how business works. In the end you have to decided what company works best for you and is the lesser of the evils.

Personally I don't get all the bitching. Especially by the people who are grandfathered into unlimited data plans!

Even if I'm grandfathered-in, what part of " Unless your data plan is $50.00 per month, you can "NOT" apply your company discount to your data plan", do you not understand ?:thinking:

So instead of me paying Verizon to cancel my contract, the new one I signed 3 weeks ago, Verizon should cancel my contract, free of any fees, since they are changing the terms in the middle of it !

Upvote 0
Even if I'm grandfathered-in, what part of " Unless your data plan is $50.00 per month, you can "NOT" apply your company discount to your data plan", do you not understand ?:thinking:

So instead of me paying Verizon to cancel my contract, the new one I signed 3 weeks ago, Verizon should cancel my contract, free of any fees, since they are changing the terms in the middle of it !

Verizon isn't going to let you out of the contract because they are dropping your discount. The contract itself was for the service itself. A discount might be applied to the cost of that service, but the discount is never part of the contract.

On top of that, your data plan isn't part of your service contract anyway. If you don't like the cost of the data plan, you can always get a "dumb phone" and drop data completely without any fees or penalties and without breaking your contract.

Reactions: MissJennell
Upvote 0
The training is a bit vague on the actual details. 4G and 3G will be tiered. and questions come up like, "what if i have a data plan, but changed to a feature phone then go back to a data plan..will it be tiered?" I talked with all levels of VzW from area directors to door greeters and no one has the answers yet. The only time to really know will be 7/7

Upvote 0
I'm curious, has it been confirmed yet whether or not those of us with unlimited data will FORE SURE be able to keep it even when we upgrade to a new phone in 1-2 years? If that ends up being true, that's pretty cool of Verizon. I figured for sure you'd get stuck having to take a new tiered data plan. Of course, I'm assuming this means I'd probably have to upgrade at a Verizon store, rather than buying a new phone online and entering a new two year contract on the Verizon website, because I'd think the website would probably restrict you to choosing one of the new data options, rather than allowing you to keep your current stuff.

Not that it matters a whole lot for me anyway, since my upgrade is still over a year away, and I don't even use 2GB a month, to begin with. But unlimited is always nice to have, just in case.

Upvote 0
I'm curious, has it been confirmed yet whether or not those of us with unlimited data will FORE SURE be able to keep it even when we upgrade to a new phone in 1-2 years?

This has not been confirmed and nobody truly knows. Thoeretically we would have unlimited forever. Unless this was just a 1 time courtesy of Verizon? Who knows.

I can tell you that you'll have it for at least your entire contract (2 years). Verizon eliminated annual upgrades and 1 year contracts so you don't even need to entertain that thought.

Upvote 0
Then you can change phones and drop the data plan without penalties. I'm sure you can pick up a used "dumb phone" for next to nothing if you don't have an old phone laying around already.

Apparently, you don't understand and have stock in Verizon ! I don't want to drop to a lower plan and dumbphone and stay with Verizon. I want to take my money and business elsewhere ! Like Sprints all-u-can-eat $99 plan !

Verizon is the one changing the rules, in the middle of my contract, not me !

Upvote 0
Apparently, you don't understand and have stock in Verizon ! I don't want to drop to a lower plan and dumbphone and stay with Verizon. I want to take my money and business elsewhere ! Like Sprints all-u-can-eat $99 plan !

Then take your money elsewhere and quite bitching. The good thing about a free market is that you can chose which company works best for you. So if it's sprint then go with them. I personally just switched to VZW from sprint.

They aren't changing your contract.....

Upvote 0

FYI- I don't have stock with VZW but this has been my experience and it might vary with your situation. :)

Your Wireless contract does not include corporation discounts. They are treated differently. The wireless contract is with you and VZW. I think you should be able to keep your wireless contract in tact during the length of your contract.

The corporation discount is technically not a contract and can be subject to change but your company should have notified you of the change. I remember when they changed our discounts from applying to all lines with $39.99 plan or above to only applying the discount to the primary line with a $39.99 plan or above. That happened mid-year and we were sent a memo letting us know the change. I tried to get out of my contract using the change of corporate discount violated the terms of my contract but they wouldn't let me out. They did say that I could change to a family plan so I could at least get a discount for the first two lines so that's what I did.

Anyways, you are the consumer so if you are not happy I would totally go find another carrier. Sprint's not a bad choice, IMO.

Upvote 0
My point is, if I signed up for Verizons $29.99 unlimited Data plan, on the basis of knowing, I would receive a 20% company discount off of the $29.99 and 3 weeks after signing said contract, Verizon said, "Oh, btw, you will no longer receive your 20% discount , unless you pay us $50 a month!", you should be able to cancel that contract , for $00.00 , give them their phone back and walk away !

Upvote 0
My point is, if I signed up for Verizons $29.99 unlimited Data plan, on the basis of knowing, I would receive a 20% company discount off of the $29.99 and 3 weeks after signing said contract, Verizon said, "Oh, btw, you will no longer receive your 20% discount , unless you pay us $50 a month!", you should be able to cancel that contract , for $00.00 , give them their phone back and walk away !

In my experience with VZW, you can typically argue just about anything with them and get something close to what you want. Want out of your contract there are most likely numerous ways out of it without the ETF, loss of your discount should be one of them.

I was going to bring this up with them once it is officially announced, but I don't really have much choice in providers lol

Upvote 0
without a contract,

can I just add a smart phone with unlimited data plan? and keep it unlimited month to month?

Already in a contract, dont have the upgrade so thats why i'm considering...

Interesting idea, but if you're out of contract then they could change any part of that line at their leisure. They could leave it, but I'd be surprised if they make this easy for people. Gotta get those over charge fees

Upvote 0

But you are the one that doesn't seem to understand. Your 2 year contract, the one you think Verizon is changing on you and therefore will allow you to exit without penalty - it says NOTHING about the data plan. So while Verizon is changing the terms of the data plan, it does not effect the two year contract terms and therefore you will not be able to get out of the contact and go to another carrier without paying the normal termination fee.

I've only given you options to help show that the data plan is in fact not part of the two year contract but instead considered an add on feature. I realize that none of the options is real attractive, but it proves that the data plan is not part of the two year contact because you (and Verizon) can change the data plan without effecting the contract terms.

Why don't you simply wait and see how everything falls out anyway. In all likelihood your data plan will not be effected anyway, so why make such a big deal about it now? If it is changed when you try to renew your contact, then you can change providers without penalty. Why push the issue now?

Upvote 0
without a contract,

can I just add a smart phone with unlimited data plan? and keep it unlimited month to month?

Already in a contract, dont have the upgrade so thats why i'm considering...

Yes you can do this. The big question is how long is V going to grandfather people into the unlimited plan. As long as they do that, you'll be fine. When they decide to stop, then your unlimited plan will disappear with everyone elses.

Again, the data plan is an add on feature. It is not part of you contract and therefore you can add or remove it at anytime. You do not need to renew your contract to add data. V has said that any with the unlimited data plan as of 7/7 will be grandfathered in. Contract term makes no difference.

Upvote 0
I thinking data falls under contract because it is required. A feature is something you can drop.

That might be true if they required your to keep the same phone for your entire contract term. However this is not the case and you can change the phone tied to your service at anytime. So theoretically, if you want to change to a phone that doesn't require data you can also drop the data plan without consequences or penalties even during your service contract period. I realize that none of us want to do that, but it is totally allowable by Verizon.

Again, the contract is simply for service. Even then it doesn't specify which plan you must use, only that you keep the service with Verizon for the full contract period. If you want to go from 450 minutes to a 900 minute plan or vice versa, you can make that change anytime without getting penalties.

Upvote 0
Yes you can do this. The big question is how long is V going to grandfather people into the unlimited plan. As long as they do that, you'll be fine. When they decide to stop, then your unlimited plan will disappear with everyone elses.

Again, the data plan is an add on feature. It is not part of you contract and therefore you can add or remove it at anytime. You do not need to renew your contract to add data. V has said that any with the unlimited data plan as of 7/7 will be grandfathered in. Contract term makes no difference.

You can't remove data. You can't active a smartphone on VZW without a data plan. That's why I think data is under contract. It cannot be removed.

As well, I cannot change phones either. My contract states I'm not eligible for equipment for two years.

VZW won't allow me to trade my Bolt for a feature phone. Not only that, all their phones now require a data plan. Even feature phones. They can't say that I must spent 200 dollars on a dumb phone at retail through VZW in order to drop my data plan.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones