• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[magic][donut] GPS in gmaps disable Data Connection ?!

pmaugeri

Lurker
Oct 24, 2009
Hi

If GPS location is enable, running the google maps disable the 3G connection on my HTC Magic running 1.6 (donut). Once the 3G connection is disable, I have to reboot the phone to get it back or to swith on and off the airplane mode.

I noticed that when I disable the GPS location in my settings, I can use google maps without any problem, but with no GPS :-(

Did anyone found the same issue ?

Cheers
Pascal

Thanks Carl for your answer. This is not possible to uninstall the gmaps applicaion! It looks it is somehow linked to the OS apps and there is no "uninstall app" like in other applications I installed.

Is there a specific way to install gmaps ?

Pascal

You should have got it from the Market via an update. So :

Go to the Android Market -> My Donwloads -> Google Maps -> Uninstall update -> When it's finished Un-installing just select "Update" -> You should now have the Updated Google Maps re-installed :)

If your having trouble still , Like I said you may want to consider a factory reset

Upvote 0
I did another test enabling the GPS location in the picture camera and it has the same effect: when GPS location is activated, data connection (3G) is switched off until next phone reboot or radio interface is reset.

Oh I see , So It would be the GPS not necessarily the Maps. I think you should do a factory reset and After , If the issue persists you may have received a dud handset considering I've never heard of this problem before and I don't have it :)

Upvote 0
Hi Carl

Just to let you know (and to others) that I followed your advice to reset to factory settings , and this fixed my problem! So thank you Carl.

I'm a bit frustrated we have solved the problem this way (not really the engineer way :->) and I hope it will not reproduce in some point in the future.

Thanks again for your advice
Pascal

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones