• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Major battery drain with Virtuous/Cyanogen

flobey

Lurker
May 14, 2010
Hi Gang - love the community here...complete rooting noob and need some advice on my Incredible. I've tried Cyanogen 6.0.0-Inc-RC3 with similar issues, and now running Virtuous 2.7 (Kernel 2.6.32.15-adrynalyne-virtuous-v1 order@linux #5, radio v2.15.00.07.28) and am lucky to make it to noon without plugging in (5-6 hrs). Quadrant scores only came back 1238...Below are the details, and what I can tell is running...where to start?

• I'm using Gmail, Exchange (calendar, contacts, email) as items arrive, and Facebook syncing.
  • Handcent for twitter, but not background syncing
  • Wifi on or off seems to have negligible effect
  • Minimal widgets in use (Android Calendar, Power Control, and Evernote that I recently shut off)
  • Display brightness set to auto, 30 sec time out

One thing I notice in the below is SYSTEM is far and away more CPU than anything else...is that just the OS? Anything I can do about it?
What should I try first? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• snap20100917_233102.png
    snap20100917_233102.png
    46.3 KB · Views: 52
  • snap20100917_235550.png
    snap20100917_235550.png
    32.2 KB · Views: 59
  • snap20100918_000632.png
    snap20100918_000632.png
    26 KB · Views: 85
Good to have you with us :)

If your getting this same bad battery life with Virtuous and adryn's custom kernel something is up with an app or apps. Also, how often and how many apps do you have polling the net? Could it be your battery have you tried bump charging? (all this info is right here in the forums with a quick search :)) Your phone is constantly awake or something/s are hogging up cpu resources....running full tilt 998 mHz. Have you tried using system panel app's monitoring to see over a day period what is going on? I think spare parts does this as well. For the monitoring in System Panel you do have to pay for the upgrade over the free version, but it is well worth it imo.

Virtuous with adryn's custom kernel has by far been the combo with the best battery life I have ever seen with my Inc. I'm presently addicted to speed though now :D

EDIT: and CM6 is notorious for ugly batt life check out xda

Upvote 0
Do you need GMail and Facebook syncing in real time? I have my Exchange syncing and refresh everything else (Twitter, Flickr, Gmail, etc) manually. That made a big difference in my battery life. You might also try installing OS Monitor, which will show you what is using your resources at any given time.

Are you getting worse battery life with Virtuous than you did with stock before rooting and with the same settings? That would be hard to explain.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies...a little more info:

Exchange is now syncing as items arrive during peak times (M-F 7:30-6:30p), every 4 hrs off peak; Twidroid on demand, Facebook once a day. Dumb question - where do I change Gmail syncing settings? Can't seem to find them. Backup assistant is off, as is News, Stocks, and Weather.

I've bump charged, and reset battery stats earlier this week.
Last night I installed SetCPU, and am set to OnDemand.

Come to think of it, my battery life has always sucked, so it's likely use/app related. Got the phone in June, and installed the OTA 2.2 about 10 days ago, but only had it for a day before rooted.

I've also just installed OSMonitor. Like the tools- thanks for that tip. I'll run it for a day or 3 and report back on what I see. Thanks again for the help thus far.

Upvote 0
just closing the loop on this for posterity...

SetCPU seemed to have helped my issue by far more than anything else. I'm running 2 profiles (Screen off 384max, 245min; Battery <25% 499max, 245min). Have also ensured my exchange syncing is set to 5 min, not constant, and other accout syncs are less frequent. I'm now making it all day on the stock battery and pretty happy with it. I get really poor reception at home, and that's prob the biggest drain. Thanks for the help.

Upvote 0
just closing the loop on this for posterity...

SetCPU seemed to have helped my issue by far more than anything else. I'm running 2 profiles (Screen off 384max, 245min; Battery <25% 499max, 245min). Have also ensured my exchange syncing is set to 5 min, not constant, and other accout syncs are less frequent. I'm now making it all day on the stock battery and pretty happy with it. I get really poor reception at home, and that's prob the biggest drain. Thanks for the help.

Hey awesome update glad you got it worked out!

OT but have you thought about getting a better battery? I bought the HTC OEM 1500mah battery from ebay seller bidallies (well documented on tips thread) for $14 and it gives a nice bump over the stock 1300mah battery

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones