• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Major problems with call quality - biggest=They can't hear me

Jofaba

Android Enthusiast
Jun 27, 2010
Okay, I am not hating on this phone. But I am having serious problems right now and I wont lie; if I can't fix this with your help, I'm going to give Samsung one more chance by doing an exchange, and if my replacement has the same problems I'm abandoning ship (probably back to the Aria).

Right now, my biggest problem is that I can no longer use my phone as a phone. On Friday I factory reset my phone because all the crap I had on it was slowing it down to a crawl. The only call I made this weekend was to Time Warner and I thought their voice system sucked and the rep was rude, but now I'm thinking that I was experiencing my newest call quality problem.

Bottom line is, I can hear them fine, but they can't hear me. I can't find any settings that would mute or lower my microphone's volume.

Besides that, I have the following problems:

Huge delay. I was testing my phone with a coworker today and there's a 1 to 2 second delay between them talking and me hearing. I tried this with another cell phone and it seemed to be similar so maybe that's normal for cell phones?

Choppy: Of what I could hear coming through, the outbound quality was very bad and hard to understand.

I bought the phone on launch day and it's been "fine" every since. The Aria had better quality (crystal clear actually) and the Captivate was definitely a step down, but I don't use the phone part all that often to really care.

Could my microphone have suddenly quit or something? Is there a setting I may have accidentally changed? Any help would be EXTREMELY welcomed.

- Joshua

Answering the delay questions yes there's usually a delay 1~2 seconds sounds about normal so i doubt its a connection issue. Now to the mic since you can hear them perfectly? then id say your software is fine so it may by that the mic has gone bad go ahead and make a video or voice recording and see if theres any volume on it if not id say the mics bad :eek: and definitely not a connect or software issue. There is a audio recording setting in the video recorder I'd make sure thats on it may somehow turn off the mic who knows lol. Good Luck!

Upvote 0
Shit, sorry I forgot to update this! Some crap had gotten into the microphone hole. Also you can block it with your pinkie depending on how you hold the phone. Not saying that's everyone's problem but I cleaned out the hole with a needle (carefully!) and watch where I put my finger and all is good now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones