• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Making Calls Over WiFi?

riffdex

Android Enthusiast
Jan 28, 2010
Any way to use the Droid to make calls over WiFi as opposed to the VZW network? I have terrible coverage at my house, and would like to just use my WiFi connection. I would need to be able to go over WiFi but still be considered a Verizon Wireless call, as I call a lot of people with Verizon and take advantage of the free calling to Verizon customers. I don't see why Verizon wouldn't take advantage of something like this, it would only take strain off of their network if some users are connecting on their WiFi networks.

I think it's still on sale right now at the VZW website for 35% off. Use promo code droid35 at checkout. It turns out to be around $160.

Another way to go - for use on wifi only - is fring and Skype out. It will cost you 2 cents per minute to call any US phone.

No the 35% off deal is over. and i repeat, I'm a kid ): It's not like I am able to/am willing to go out and get a $150 device for something like this. I really don't NEED service at my house, though I'd like to have it.

And thanks for the suggestions but I really need something that won't cost, I was just wondering if I could somehow set up my phone to connect over my WiFi but use my Verizon minutes.

Upvote 0
I have one... went from no bars to 4 bars, BUT, our broadband service is s-l-o-w. Not sure if there's a correllation, but when the broadband service is patchy, so is the phone reception, and the phone STILL displays 4 bars. When the broadband service is good, the phone service with the extender is stellar!

Without the extender, I have zero bars, zero internet. With the extender, I get 4 bars, but still, zero internet. I get internet thru wifi, so in my experience, the extender does nothing for web browsing, only the phone service.

Oddly, I walk to the neighbor's house 50 feet away and get 4 bars and 3G all day long. No visible obstruction or obvious reason as to why I get nothing at my house.

When I asked the phone rep about an extender, I was still within the 30 days, so I humerously asked if I could get the extender free to at least try before I cancelled everything. They cut the price from $250 to $125.
Was it worth it? Yep.

I'm still with Verizon, still gots me Droid, everybody's happy...

Upvote 0
I'll stress the importance of being able to use my Verizon minutes. Most of my friends have Verizon, with limited minutes, and I only want a method that can let me use Verizon over WiFi, so that the calls are not counting against our minutes. Sure, it would be simple enough for me to set up a skype account and pay $3 a month for unlimited calling. Even if I was willing to spend $3 a month, it really wouldn't make a difference, not all my friends are willing to shell out $3 a month, and they don't all have smart phones anyway. Even if we did, it kind of defeats the initial purpose I wanted, which was to be able to have service at my house, while still having unlimited calling to other Verizon users.

I just think it's an opportunity Verizon should really be taking advantage of. People able to make calls over their WiFi instead of congesting the VZW network can only benefit them and their network. /:

Thanks for all responses you guys have given, by the way! I suppose I'll continue longing for the days of electronics being able to do all that they are capable of >.<

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones