• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Making Firefox or Chrome the default browser for Google Assistant

I have Firefox Focus set as the default browser in the Settings >> Apps menu and that works out OK with most apps, but with Google Assistant it ignores that and always uses Chrome anyway. I just gave up trying to mess with that aspect (... Disabling the Chrome app itself does result in Assistant to use Firefox Focus, but I'm not a frequent Assistant user anyway so as often as I do use it that's not a practical solution. It's just not worth my time to worry about it. YMMV)

But as far as being able to save web sites to the Home screen, yeah it's so simple with Firefox but when using Chrome tap on the three dot icon in the upper right menu bar, tap on More, then Create shortcut.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
"Disabling the Chrome app itself does result in Assistant to use Firefox Focus"

Not for me, either with Firefox, or Firefox Focus. When I use the Assistant, it defaults to Google, not Chrome. Are you saying that the Assistant, thru voice recognition, by saying "Hey Google", will use Firefox as it's default browser?

I disabled chrome, and it defaulted to Google. If I disable Google, Assistant stops working. I can search "within" Firefox using the microphone, but the VoIce Assistant will not use it.

I did find a way to have the Assistant default to Chrome. So now, at least I have the ability to add a shortcut without jumping thru hoops.

How to Enable Google Assistant in Android's Chrome Browser

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones