1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Making the jump from Windows, kind of....

Discussion in 'Computers' started by mplevy, Jul 1, 2012.

1. mplevy

mplevy Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2009
    New York, USA
    My HP laptop has been giving me some fits; odd BSOD's, sleep not working right, general performance issues. I did a clean install (not even an HP "factory restore") 2 months ago and the issues persist. This machine was kind of an impulse buy, it seemed to be a good deal at the time, but it's a C2D and the first Core iX series had just dropped.

I've had the pleasure of using a 13" MBP at work for the last 16 months and decided it was time to make the move for my personal machine. Ordered a 15" base model (2.3 i7 quad, 4 GB memory, 500 GB HDD, hi-res screen is the only upgrade), should have it sometime next week. I didn't need the retina, and like that I can upgrade the memory and HDD on this one as opposed to the retina version having zero upgrade path.

I will maintain a Windows 7 box for gaming, that's a hand-built machine.

Advertisement

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Random BSOD's can be indicative of failing memory. You might try replacing the SODIMM's and see if that clears it up. If the BSOD is always the same error, you might have a component on the verge of failure.

9to5cynic likes this.
  3. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User
    None

May 25, 2010
    UK Technical Lead; Desktop Support
    Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
    Use dumpchk to analyse your minidump files. Let me know if you want information on how to do that.

Or just send me them if you want.... They're in c:\windows\minidump

4. mplevy

mplevy Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2009
    New York, USA
    I wasn't really looking for help with the machine. I posted after making the purchase of the new computer (it's sitting in Anchorage, AK on its way from China right now). I was never 100% happy with the machine, though it served OK, and ever since picking up this Mac for work I've been wanting to get one for personal use.

I MAY fiddle with getting the HP back to "right" and hand it off to my mom to use, but I'd almost like the Windows license on it for a VM on the Mac.

5. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User
    None

May 25, 2010
    UK Technical Lead; Desktop Support
    Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
    That windows licence would be OEM anyway. I don't think you could legally do that. Microsoft are fussy like that.

The minidump files would identify the source of the blue screen. If its hardware, you may want to know that before handing it to your mum,