• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Making the jump from Windows, kind of....

mplevy

Android Expert
Nov 13, 2009
New York, USA
My HP laptop has been giving me some fits; odd BSOD's, sleep not working right, general performance issues. I did a clean install (not even an HP "factory restore") 2 months ago and the issues persist. This machine was kind of an impulse buy, it seemed to be a good deal at the time, but it's a C2D and the first Core iX series had just dropped.

I've had the pleasure of using a 13" MBP at work for the last 16 months and decided it was time to make the move for my personal machine. Ordered a 15" base model (2.3 i7 quad, 4 GB memory, 500 GB HDD, hi-res screen is the only upgrade), should have it sometime next week. I didn't need the retina, and like that I can upgrade the memory and HDD on this one as opposed to the retina version having zero upgrade path.

I will maintain a Windows 7 box for gaming, that's a hand-built machine.

I wasn't really looking for help with the machine. I posted after making the purchase of the new computer (it's sitting in Anchorage, AK on its way from China right now). I was never 100% happy with the machine, though it served OK, and ever since picking up this Mac for work I've been wanting to get one for personal use.

I MAY fiddle with getting the HP back to "right" and hand it off to my mom to use, but I'd almost like the Windows license on it for a VM on the Mac.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones