• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Massive Nova Launcher Battery Drain

TheRoosevelt

Android Expert
Oct 11, 2011
USA
Today, I noticed by battery plummeting like no man's business. I took my phone off the charger at 60% and 3 hours later it's at 7% with minimal use.

I got curious and decided to look at the battery stats, and 50% of the battery usage was due to Nova Launcher. Has anyone else experienced this?
This is definitely the first time I'm seeing this, so I'm putting it down to a weird rare thing that'll be fixed with a reboot rather than something serious, but I wanna know, am I alone?

Been using nova for the last few months. I have never experience battery drain from it (that I know of course but doubt it).

I would double check and see if you installed something in the last few days that may be more likely. The log might just be reporting things incorrectly.

Or try killing nova. Maybe its stuck on checking for an update or something like that.

This kind of happened to me with a pending download from amazon. For some dumb reason it required wifi even though we have 4g. I left the phone it in my car for about 30 minutes and my battery lost 30%.

Upvote 0
Never had a prooem problem like that with Nova Launcher Prime. I'm running the latest version according to Play.

You might not need to reboot the GNex. You can try just restarting Nova. Go to Nova settings, scroll down to the bottom and touch Restart Nova Launcher.

Hope the problem stays gone for you.

Upvote 0
Never had a prooem problem like that with Nova Launcher Prime. I'm running the latest version according to Play.

You might not need to reboot the GNex. You can try just restarting Nova. Go to Nova settings, scroll down to the bottom and touch Restart Nova Launcher.

Hope the problem stays gone for you.

Never had it drain battery, but I think it's possibly becoming a RAM blackhole. Won't even stay in memory while I do some light web browsing.

Upvote 0
I was going to try free Nova launcher until I saw this thread. I kind of feel bored with stock launcher though there is no issue with it. But if it causes more battery drain or heavy on memory, I don't want it.

Seems like Nova and Apex are two top rival launchers on ICS, just like LP and ADW were until gingerbread. So which is better in terms of speed, battery and being light on memory?

Upvote 0
All right, thanks everyone. I havent experienced it after the reboot so I think it must have been a freak occurrence. That rootzwiki thread does show that I'm not the only one who's seen this though so I guess its just a rare bug that needs to be fixed eventually.

Ok, so you've ran it for longer than a day after rebooting and it's doing good now?

Upvote 0
Seems like Nova and Apex are two top rival launchers on ICS, just like LP and ADW were until gingerbread. So which is better in terms of speed, battery and being light on memory?

I had horrible issues with Apex the one time that I ran it (to the point I had to restore a Nandroid) but that was probably mostly it not playing well with the ROM I had it on. I love Nova, it's fast and extremely customizable (more so with Prime, but I'm not buying a launcher) and 99.9% of the time rock solid. I think my RAM issue might possibly be a ROM problem but I'm not 100% sure, so it still could be Nova.

Reactions: Sandroidfan
Upvote 0
I've been using Nova for two weeks now. Got it the day I received my Sprint Gnex and upgraded the next day to Prime.

I had one issue where a widget crashed right after installing Nova, but I was installing a lot of new stuff that week. I've updated Nova and not had any problems with it since the one time.

Highly recommended.

Upvote 0
Looks like majority of us are Nova fan. Is there anyone using Apex? It seems to be getting a little better reviews on Play recently.
I decided to take a look at Apex. The two (Nova and Apex) are remarkably similar. Feature for feature Apex has a few more options than Nova, and some of them are very handy.

However there were some polish issues with Apex. For instance I use Simple Text Icons for my Dock. With Apex if I used the same words at the same font size, the words were cut off slightly. To make them work I have to use smaller font sizes. It's a tiny detail, but it annoyed me.

I noticed that while both are in the 100,000+ downloads category, Apex has over 10,000 reviews to Nova's just under 5,000. Which may mean Apex is more popular.

I'd say it would be difficult to recommend one over the other. It would also be hard to go wrong with either one.

I've paid for Nova Prime, and the developer is very active so I doubt I will switch. Nice to have the competition though. We can only benefit from two really good choices.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones