• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
One more change:

- Motorola reports expanded LTE support. Most believe this to be that LTE band 4 (AWS) has been unlocked in the new radio. Verizon is rolling out AWS mostly in big cities right now, so most of us will not see the difference, but somebody with the update placed a T-Mobile SIM in the phone and reported that LTE was enabled. T-Mobile also uses band 4, so this is a good sign. Prior to this, AT&T and T-Mobile users who put a SIM in a Droid Ultra series phone were able to get HSPA+ at best, with no LTE.

Reactions: Thom
Upvote 0
Doogald,

how does one become an 'official soak tester'?

I am curious because I received the update when I started this thread and I was not a soak tester to my knowedge, It also seems like this thread was taken as someone that was going against an NDA, again, I don't recall signing or Seeing an NDA, so I assumed I was a regular user, just not sure why I got the update early.

The Wireless charging UI screen changed and it seems easier to place it on my charger ( using the Energizer 2 QI charger..

if Moto Skip works I am going to n get that now to try, having the phone unlocked while on my would be nice (like having BT on/connected to trusted device)

Upvote 0
how does one become an 'official soak tester'?

The first step is to join the Motorola Feedback Network. This post explains this process: https://forums.motorola.com/posts/77d4221775

I won't comment on anything else about the soak invitation, as that part is confidential.

I am curious because I received the update when I started this thread and I was not a soak tester to my knowedge, It also seems like this thread was taken as someone that was going against an NDA, again, I don't recall signing or Seeing an NDA, so I assumed I was a regular user, just not sure why I got the update early.

Right, that apparently happens - some "regular" users get the update. You handled it just fine - you cannot be held to a confidentiality agreement that you did not agree to. Thanks for posting what you saw here - I was unable to comment. (That obviously doesn't stop everybody, though.)

Reactions: -=Jeff=-
Upvote 0
I was part of the Soak Test and a notice was finally posted at 9:15 this morning saying that the OTA had been released. This information source was down when I tried checking into it and there was no way to know the status.

People in the Soak Test agreed not to talk publicly about anything until it was concluded.

Some people not in the Soak Test received the update and they had no such restriction.

... Thom

Upvote 0
The first step is to join the Motorola Feedback Network. This post explains this process: https://forums.motorola.com/posts/77d4221775

I won't comment on anything else about the soak invitation, as that part is confidential.

Right, that apparently happens - some "regular" users get the update. You handled it just fine - you cannot be held to a confidentiality agreement that you did not agree to. Thanks for posting what you saw here - I was unable to comment. (That obviously doesn't stop everybody, though.)

Good I feel better now knowing I did nothing wrong by posting that originally

usually I am one of the last and chomping at the bit to get the update

Upvote 0
I noticed nothing negative in the new release and a few changes.

As mentioned the questionable addition when you long press on the home button can also be achieved by swiping up on any of the three buttons. There are other options that can be selected once you are in this area.

When swiping down on the home screen the logo in the upper right corner changes to be a little more informative.

... Thom

Upvote 0
- Moto Skip NFC unlocking is now supposed to be working with the Droid series. I do not have a Skip, so I cannot test it.

That app still shows in play as not compatible with my MAXX and I don't see an app installed, unless it is in settings

Right, I saw that during the test. We must have to wait for the app to be updated to support our phones to get that play store update.

If you go into settings->apps, slide to the "All" tab, you will see in the list "Motorola Skip Setup". I have no idea if that was there before, but it is there now in 12.15.15.

I'm thinking of getting a skip myself. I have one car without bluetooth and it would be nice to use the skip to keep the phone unlocked while I am driving in that car. Until I have one, though, I have no idea what happens.

Upvote 0
Just for the record, it looks like a lot of people misconstrued my post about the NDA. I was part of the soak test too, and as such I cannot even acknowledge that it's happening. I simply posted the link to NDA on Wiki just as a sort of tongue-in-cheek reminder to those in the soak test.

Doog has really done a good job of reviewing the patch. While nothing earth shattering, it is nice. I also noticed things loading even faster than before, and that's on top of this being a blazing fast device to begin with.

Reactions: -=Jeff=-
Upvote 0
Interesting little issue isn't it?

I don't know what happened with the Maxx ... it is posted everywhere that it is in soak test ... I do know what happened with the Bionic because I was in the soak test for the Bionic and am now permitted to talk about it.

... Thom

Dude. It's barely a noticeable update. It clearly had few if any issues and was pushed out to everyone.

Upvote 0
Dude. It's barely a noticeable update. It clearly had few if any issues and was pushed out to everyone.

The update corrected a few issues in what was in my experience the best release of the system on any phone I ever had.

When my original message was posted I was participating in the Soak Test. It ended and the OTA is in the process of being pushed to everyone today.

... Thom

Upvote 0
I have a **rooted** Motorola DROID MAXX, and today I updated to android 4.2.2. I didn't really think about it before I pulled the trigger. Obviously, you can't update the phone while it is rooted, or bad things happen. Well, my current situation is my phone boots, runs for about one to two minutes, and then shuts down again. Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do? I have already disabled SuperSU (My superuser controller), and am currently trying to figure out how to unroot my device, after updating to new firmware. Any help appreciated, thanks guys!

Upvote 0
The worst thing about this update is that it wiped out Maps 6 and you're stuck with Maps 7. You can't uninstall 7 and revert back to 6. I had a large amount of Places saved and now can't access them with Maps 7. Thanks Google. They promised to bring this feature back to Maps in July, but it's looking like a broken promise.

Upvote 0
I have a **rooted** Motorola DROID MAXX, and today I updated to android 4.2.2. I didn't really think about it before I pulled the trigger. Obviously, you can't update the phone while it is rooted, or bad things happen. Well, my current situation is my phone boots, runs for about one to two minutes, and then shuts down again. Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do? I have already disabled SuperSU (My superuser controller), and am currently trying to figure out how to unroot my device, after updating to new firmware. Any help appreciated, thanks guys!

Welcome to Android Forums.

See the ... Droid Maxx - All Things Root - Android Forums ... sub-forum.

... Thom

Upvote 0

Yes, I think that this post from xda-developers.com about using House of Moto to restore the phone to stock is your best bet:

[GUIDE] House of Moto - xda-developers

You'll also be directed to this thread: House of Moto - SamuriHL's House Of Moto - DroidRzr.com

Good luck. If you have any problems, please post them in the All about root forum here: Droid Maxx - All Things Root - Android Forums

Upvote 0
That app still shows in play as not compatible with my MAXX and I don't see an app installed, unless it is in settings

As a couple of people in here commented, I was one of the supersoakers as well. If I remember right, the Moto Skip does work; however, not through the app. Skip compatiblity is built into the phone. I think it works kind of like pairing a bluetooth device, where you turn on NFC...Place your phone over the Skip, and it's supposed to walk you through the setup.

Upvote 0

As a couple of people in here commented, I was one of the supersoakers as well. If I remember right, the Moto Skip does work; however, not through the app. Skip compatiblity is built into the phone. I think it works kind of like pairing a bluetooth device, where you turn on NFC...Place your phone over the Skip, and it's supposed to walk you through the setup.

I just noticed something. I went to https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.motorola.nfcauthenticator

It says "This app is incompatible with all of your devices." BUT it also says that it is installed... (the green "install" button says "installed", not "install".)

Upvote 0
Great 4G speed after the update.
6egabegy.jpg

Upvote 0
I'm just curious ...

-- Was it pushed to you or did you manually download it?
-- If you go to Settings | My phone | System version what is the number?

... Thom

It was pushed to me. The only thing I did was I had my phone on airplane mode, once I switched back to WiFi/mobile data, I saw my phone start downloading updates for apps. After a bit, I noticed one was still downloading, & went to check as I assumed it was one of my larger games. When all it said was software update, I knew it was the one.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones