• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Media Object Removed

Since I first got my Eris, I've noticed a strange event that happens w/e I get a long text message, over 160 Characters I believe.

The phone seems to split these messages into one or more, which Is because SMS Is limited to 160 characters, but I thought EMS fixed that and allowed more than 160 Characters?

The really strange part about the split tho, I get an extra text message after recieving the 2+ split messages that says "Media Objects Removed" even when there is no EMS/MMS pics/sounds/vids attatched to the email. This has happened with both the stock SMS app and Handcent.

Does the Eris not support EMS, hence its stripping the EMS message of all text and splitting them up? or is that Verizon doing it? Is there a workaround?

I used to get these messages just fine on my Juke, Chocolate, Glyde, Alias2 among other phones.

It is a Verizon issue and happens on most Smartphones. The person that sent the message also gets a message saying that you cannot receive enhanced messages that it will be sent as plain text. It is very annoying because many people think that I am not getting their message and continue to send it over and over. If I have time, I will try to see why this happens but as of the last time I looked into this issue, there is nothing that you can do other than to split your messages up into 160 characters yourself.

Upvote 0
I have a droid x and so far i get this error message only when texting with one person in my contacts list. She can send hi and it shows up as 1/1 hi. Then i get the error message. I tried handcent and still get it. We r both verizon customers. On my old voyaged her font was bigger than everyone elses but i did not get the error msg. I hope it gets solved soon. It is not just the length that causes this error.

Upvote 0
:p just stating what fixed my problem geez :(

The problem is different for everyone. I always felt it had something to do with the carrier. T-Mobile users, I believe, can only send 140 (vs. 160) character texts. VZW has to do the work to break it down for T-Mobile but you still get stuck with the bum end of the deal by having to get a message from VZW immediately telling you you went over the limit.

I have come across a few different messages when I go over 160 in one text

One says that it could not delivered in its entirety. Only 160 were sent, the rest are just..somewhere.

The other is it confirms it was sent but in different parts. But all of it was sent. Which is pointless to say the least, but...

It should have been fixed with the MR1 update back in November or December. Not sure why you run into now. Again, I think it may be the carrier. But you said it was a fellow-VZW customer? Dunno then.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones