• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Message preview

I don't have your device so I can't dig around in the settings. I'd assume what you're describing is something similar to the stock Android ambient display or the moto display on Motorola devices.

Check under settings > display and see if you see something that sounds similar to that. You may be able to disable it.

Alternatively you might try Settings > security > lock screen and look for an option to hide sensitive information on the lock screen. That will show you that you have a text message but hide the contents of the message.

I can only tell you where these settings are on my device but LG usually stays fairly close to stock Android if I recall correctly so some of these options may be the same or similar enough that you can find them.

Upvote 0
Hmm, I really wish I could help more but without being able to look through the settings myself, it's a bit difficult.

I would think that if it's something that can be disabled that it will be somewhere in your notification settings. Alternatively you might look at the notification settings within your text messaging app and see if there's anything different in there.

I know that on my phone within the messaging app on my device I have these options:
Screenshot_20171016-155027.png

That may be a feature of Android Oreo though.

Upvote 0
Hmm, I really wish I could help more but without being able to look through the settings myself, it's a bit difficult.

I would think that if it's something that can be disabled that it will be somewhere in your notification settings. Alternatively you might look at the notification settings within your text messaging app and see if there's anything different in there.

I know that on my phone within the messaging app on my device I have these options:
View attachment 124626

That may be a feature of Android Oreo though.

Thanks for your help but I'm running older android on my g6 can't see the right setting, I don't suppose you know how to get the numbers on apps when there is a notification eg messaging and snap chat, I've moved from iOS where all unread notifications showed automatically against the app

Upvote 0
BTW I'm running nova launcher
Are there notification settings in Nova launcher? They might even include an option to add the notification badges you were talking about. I used Nova prime a long time ago. Been a long time so I can't really remember all the settings and I'm not sure what they have added since I've stopped using it.

But there's probably some Nova settings for notification stuff. I'd poke around in there too.

Edit:
Nova has a companion app that uses notification badges. I knew this was all vaguely familiar.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teslacoilsw.notifier

Reactions: jamev22
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones