• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Messages notification duration

smeshenberg

Lurker
Apr 23, 2017
I'm coming from iOS so forgive me if I'm asking something obvious. On my old phone when a text message came through the first couple lines of text would sit on the lock screen forever until I answered the text. On my new s8 the first line displays briefly at the top and then goes away and I just get a little envelope icon to let me know I have a text message waiting. Any way to get it to leave that first line of text up long enough for me to read it?

Hi,

I assume that you're using the default Messages app.

On my S8 plus I get a notification speech bubble icon on the always on display and, when I wake the phone prior to unlocking, the sender and start of the message is visible as a notification (this remains on the lock screen until I read the message in full or swipe the notification away).

One thing to perhaps check is:

Settings > Lock screen and security > Notifications >

This brings up a screen headed "Notifications" with a toggle to turn all notifications on or off and a list of your apps so that you can select which apps you would like to receive notifications from. In addition to this, there are 2 other toggles which enable you to hide content or display notification icons only. I think that these are, by default, set to off but it may be worth checking that you haven't accidentally enabled them.

Reactions: El Presidente
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones