• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Messaging app is missing from Galaxy S2

philipjfry

Lurker
Jun 8, 2011
I just bought a galaxy s2 off of craigslist. Everything works fine except that it's missing the messaging app. Can not find it in the app menus. Tried to send a sms from another phone to it but nothing. It was already rooted and I did hardreset but still cant find it.

Does anyone else have this problem or know a solution?

I imagine the seller used another messaging app previously.

I use GoSMS pro, so longer messages are no longer converted to MMS messages... yay! And it's free. With the SimplePaper theme, and some font sizes decreased, it looks really nice, and could pass as stock, unlike Hancent (in my opinion).

Since I get on so well with it, I used Titanium Backup Pro to freeze the stock app... This prevents it running, and hides it from the system (saving ram, cpu etc. I guess) - yay, tidied up! - I guess the original owner also did something simillar... He may have removed Bloat Freezer, or Titanium Backup Pro, but it's effects are probably still left behind.

You could get TBP or BF and see what is frozen maybe?

TBP is better imo, as it backs up your phone, everything on it, apps, app data, and settings on a scheduled basis... I have mine back up every other day. if anything ever goes wrong, I have a max of two (set in settings) backups of the whole phone to restore... so if I drop it and it breaks, or get it wet and it needs replacing, or needs to be swapped for warranty, I can press a couple of buttons and put the whole phone back to how it was before... Was also very useful when I upgraded my firmware, and somehow lost everything!

Highly recommend keeping it rooted, as well as geting Go SMS Pro & SimplePaper theme (both freeeeee!) as well as getting TBP :)

By removing (sorry, FREEZING... personally I would not remove them, but TBP does give you the option to) all the hubs and samsung crap you can boost the battery life quite a bit I found. Especially after freezing Wi-fi sharing... strangely, even after being frozen, wi-fi sharing still works when switched on, but it stops eating your battery.

By keeping the phone rooted and installing bloat freezer, or titanium backup pro, you can freeze these apps and stop them running, saving CPU, RAM, and battery drain. Guess the original owner did the same with the stock messaging app... then removed the app he did it with before selling it?

Matt

Reactions: philipjfry
Upvote 0
Thanks matt. I downloaded handcent and everything works except me receiving mms. So I searched the web and downloaded mms.apk and now my mms is working properly. But since u mentioned about titanium backup I will have to check that out, it is installed already. I will also check out the mms apps u mentioned.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones