• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Metro announces VOLTE!

Does VoLTE mean better signal and better call quality? Because the signal strength where i live is simply terrible. Im thinking about switching.

I hear you. I would love to upgrade my phone and upgrade to 4G plan but my phone service is terrible(signal reception).

Signal is good all over town but I live on the edge of a "questionable service area". Essentially there is a small bubble of very poor service which they no about and choose not to do anything about and I live right on the edge of it.

Poor signal in my home and poor battery life due to searching for signal. I have put up with it so far cuz the savings was significant over my old carrier (V). I will also say that my wifes signal is better than mine (Samsung device vs my LG OM).

I have had enough and now there are comparable or better options such as the BYOP plan from Straight Talk. I just learned about this from a post I recently read on these forums.

Link to BYOP post

Good phone for much more reasonable price than what Metro offers and better service.

Any thoughts?

Upvote 0
depends on what you do with your phone. metro has the $40 plan that gives you unlimited talk text and 250mb of data.

than there's the $50 plan for 2.5gb.

i was thinking about straighttalk a while back but they have a hidden data cap of 2gb, they dont want you using more than 100mb of data a day, and their TOS prohibits video/audio streaming.
these types of restrictions make data more or less useless only allowing you to check email, update social networks, and load a webpage.

while ST has slightly faster speeds than metro you dont need a fast service to check email, load webpages, and look at facebook.

with that said if it can give you a better signal in your area you should go for it.

Reactions: reddarin
Upvote 0
i was thinking about straighttalk a while back but they have a hidden data cap of 2gb, they dont want you using more than 100mb of data a day, and their TOS prohibits video/audio streaming.
these types of restrictions make data more or less useless only allowing you to check email, update social networks, and load a webpage.

I didn't realize streaming was written into TOS.

Honestly I don't really stream video but it makes me a bit nervous that it's spelled out like that.

I wonder what the tolerance is? Hate to get the boot from the plan cuz I streamed while I thought I was on WIFI or one of my kids watches a video without my knowledge.

Upvote 0
I didn't realize streaming was written into TOS.

Honestly I don't really stream video but it makes me a bit nervous that it's spelled out like that.

I wonder what the tolerance is? Hate to get the boot from the plan cuz I streamed while I thought I was on WIFI or one of my kids watches a video without my knowledge.

There not really strict with streaming, just try not to pass the 100/mb per day and the 2gb a month.

Upvote 0
i dont how strrict ST is at enforcing it but its indeed in there TOS
6. STRAIGHT TALK UNLIMITED TALK, TEXT AND MOBILE WEB ACCESS PLAN INTENDED USE: Straight Talk Unlimited Talk, Text and Mobile Web Access Plans may ONLY be used with a Straight Talk handset for the following purposes: (i) Person to Person Voice Calls (ii) Text and Picture Messaging (iii) Internet browsing through the Straight Talk Mobile Web Service and (iv) Authorized Content Downloads from the Straight Talk Mobile Web Store. The Straight Talk Unlimited Plans MAY NOT be used for any other purpose. Examples of prohibited uses include, without limitation, the following: (i) continuous mobile to mobile or mobile to landline voice calls; (ii) automated text or picture messaging to another mobile device or e-mail address; (iii) uploading, downloading or streaming of audio or video programming or games; (iv) server devices or host computer applications, including, but not limited to, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine-to-machine connections or peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing; or (v) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections. This means, by way of example only, that checking email, surfing the Internet, downloading legally acquired songs, and/or visiting corporate intranets is permitted, but downloading movies using P2P file sharing services and/or redirecting television signals for viewing on laptops is prohibited. A person engaged in prohibited uses may have his/her service terminated without notice or a refund.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones