• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Metro Just pushed a firmware ans OS update

Can't find any F6's in the area. All the Metro stores out here have is the high end $400 and up phones now! How nice of them during this FORCED transitional period.

If I'm going to spend any real money on my next phone it will be on a One+One or the LG G3. (both rumored to be coming out JUST AFTER the July 1st Metro CDMA shut down.) Boo!!

I have made friends with a Manager at a T-Mobile store and she is keeping an eye out for the G3 when it does come in but everything she is hearing is sometime mid July.

With the One+One it could be forever before I see one of those with their invite system.

**Sigh**

Is anyone else getting the now daily messages about the impending shutdown? My phone will beep and I'll see the voice mail icon and think hmm. that's odd, my phone never rang. Then I check the voice mail and it's MetroPCS reminding me of the impending shut down. I also get texts 2-3 times a week now saying the same thing.

I think it's crappy that they are forcing me to go and buy a $400-$500 phone at their stores if I want to stay with them. I kid you not. And my Motion is ONLY worth $50 on certain phone upgrades too! The last store I went into only had the high end phones and the kid told me other cheaper ones were on order but he had no clue when they would be coming in. (I bet just after July 1st!)

Well, if anyone has any other ideas as to a solution please let me know. I'm really frustrated with this who thing.

-Sipdude

Order an f6 online or buy a used unlocked phone

Reactions: viperdink
Upvote 0
Actually found a G4 mini DUOS I9192 unlocked GSM for 269 at Staples online brand new. A hundred off retail. 8gb of internal space with 5.1 usable with room for my 64gb second micro out of my Motion. From what I can tell this is 4g LTE and will work on MetroPCS.

Thoughts? Anyone have one of these? Much better than the f6 I think and not a 600 dollar phone either.

Opinions? TIA.

-Sipdude

Order an f6 online or buy a used unlocked phone

Upvote 0
Actually found a G4 mini DUOS I9192 unlocked GSM for 269 at Staples online brand new. A hundred off retail. 8gb of internal space with 5.1 usable with room for my 64gb second micro out of my Motion. From what I can tell this is 4g LTE and will work on MetroPCS.

Thoughts? Anyone have one of these? Much better than the f6 I think and not a 600 dollar phone either.

Opinions? TIA.

-Sipdude

The dual simple vareint doesn't have lte bands and that is really up to you.. I for one am not a fan of mini flagships...

Reactions: SipDude
Upvote 0
Ahh crap. I figured since this was a mini version of the 4 I thought it would at least be LTE. I won't buy a non-LTE phone even as a stop gap until the oneplus comes out. So I hear you there. The mini was just a stopgap.

Thanks for the quick response.

The search continues...

-Sipdude

The dual simple vareint doesn't have lte bands and that is really up to you.. I for one am not a fan of mini flagships...

Upvote 0
My recommendation a phone from 2012 from att off ebay the s3 atrix HD Xperia tl. (Or ion) HTC one X or vx? Note 2 or og note if it's att s2 skyrocket. LG nitro or Optimus g so many choices from that pool. I have owned atrix HD. And is posting from Xperia tl right now

Plus a speed test.
apeqadep.jpg

Upvote 0
Wow what an pointless update made by metro all they did was add 1 app that we could of downloaded if we wanted it
The point of the update, the one and only point to the update, was to block the two Cydia paths that SuperSU & other rooting apps used to gain access to root privileges.
That's it.
The firmware update had
No
Other
Purpose.
none.
Someone already looked at its binary code and saw that's literally all it does.
And I know because it blocked my mom's LG Optimus F6 from being able to be rooted. I had to downgrade her phone from 12b back to 10i software just to root her phone.

Moral of the story, trust no one.
Don't just download things mindlessly without first knowing what exactly is in the download and what it does to your device.
Especially when its from your carrier or google/apple/microsoft

I only trust Jolla. Since they are the only ones that actually respect the rights of the consumer by providing true open source os...instead of trying to snatch more and more consumer rights away from the public as time goes by.

Upvote 0
The point of the update, the one and only point to the update, was to block the two Cydia paths that SuperSU & other rooting apps used to gain access to root privileges.
That's it.
The firmware update had
No
Other
Purpose.
none.
Someone already looked at its binary code and saw that's literally all it does.
And I know because it blocked my mom's LG Optimus F6 from being able to be rooted. I had to downgrade her phone from 12b back to 10i software just to root her phone.

Moral of the story, trust no one.
Don't just download things mindlessly without first knowing what exactly is in the download and what it does to your device.
Especially when its from your carrier or google/apple/microsoft

I only trust Jolla. Since they are the only ones that actually respect the rights of the consumer by providing true open source os...instead of trying to snatch more and more consumer rights away from the public as time goes by.

I'm not sure what you're talking about :thinking: ; there are numerous people on here, including me, that have been able to re-root their LG Motions after the fw update. We used the exact same rooting method that was used to root the Motion from the very beginning.

Upvote 0
They already did.

I honestly don't think you know what you're talking about. Sprint hasn't purchased T-Mobile. It's the company that owns Sprint, Softbank out of Japan, that is talking with T-Mobile (or more likely, T-Mo's parent company Deutsche Telecom). Even if the two companies have come to an agreement (which I don't know for sure), it still has to get US government approval for it to be official.

I see that you're new here, please do some reading before you make a blanket statement.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure what you're talking about :thinking: ; there are numerous people on here, including me, that have been able to re-root their LG Motions after the fw update. We used the exact same rooting method that was used to root the Motion from the very beginning.
yes. I read the posts on this subject a few pages back on the thread.
Perhaps there are differences in phone models, but may I ask you to look at the 12b update threads and the rooting threads on the LG Optimus F6 subforums. You'll see the hell one must go through to root after the update for F6 users.
Consider yourselves lucky as motion users.
The update never installed on my motion because I made SuperSU a part of my system settings so the update failed. Thank God!

After I downgraded my mom's F6 from 12b back to 10i, rooted it and made it a part of system settings like my motion, I clicked yes to firmware installation and it failed to install too.

If your motion accepted the firmware update it must be because you didn't have SuperSU as a part of system settings, I can only assume.
perhaps you also have a rootkeeper?

Also, not to insult anyone, but I think this whole talk of faster data speeds, better battery life, and faster processing is all conjured up and dreamed up in all you guy's fantasies. I think its all wishful hoping of the snake oil working. A placebo effect is whats going on.
While I dealt with my mom's F6 when it was at 12b firmware I saw 0.0% improvement in any of those things. No processing, data, or battery life improvements. No change in performance whatsoever from before to after the update.

Keeping that in mind, I believe the guy that could actually read the entire binary code of the firmware update and stated it did nothing but block the 2 Cydia paths for rooting access. He said it did nothing else other than that. He even printed out the firmware code and posted it along with showing us line by line what it did and didn't do regarding os changes.

But I also take that with a grain of salt. I can't confirm he's right since I cant read binary.

Upvote 0
yes. I read the posts on this subject a few pages back on the thread.
Perhaps there are differences in phone models, but may I ask you to look at the 12b update threads and the rooting threads on the LG Optimus F6 subforums. You'll see the hell one must go through to root after the update for F6 users.
Consider yourselves lucky as motion users.
The update never installed on my motion because I made SuperSU a part of my system settings so the update failed. Thank God!

After I downgraded my mom's F6 from 12b back to 10i, rooted it and made it a part of system settings like my motion, I clicked yes to firmware installation and it failed to install too.

If your motion accepted the firmware update it must be because you didn't have SuperSU as a part of system settings, I can only assume.
perhaps you also have a rootkeeper?

Also, not to insult anyone, but I think this whole talk of faster data speeds, better battery life, and faster processing is all conjured up and dreamed up in all you guy's fantasies. I think its all wishful hoping of the snake oil working. A placebo effect is whats going on.
While I dealt with my mom's F6 when it was at 12b firmware I saw 0.0% improvement in any of those things. No processing, data, or battery life improvements. No change in performance whatsoever from before to after the update.

Keeping that in mind, I believe the guy that could actually read the entire binary code of the firmware update and stated it did nothing but block the 2 Cydia paths for rooting access. He said it did nothing else other than that. He even printed out the firmware code and posted it along with showing us line by line what it did and didn't do regarding os changes.

But I also take that with a grain of salt. I can't confirm he's right since I cant read binary.

Ok so you're talking about a different phone. The F6 isn't the Motion. Maybe that fw update was only to block like you said, on the F6. The Motion could still be rooted. When I originally got the notification, the update didn't go through because I was rooted and had the supersu (or which ever one I had on my Motion, can't remember now) was a system app. I had to use the LG Mobile Support Tool to do my fw upgrade. In the process it un-rooted me. I then followed the same rooting process that was established way back when, and re-rooted my Motion. No problems.

As far as data speeds, someone (I believe it was gman) said that the fw update helped establish the Motion users to hop onto T-Mobile LTE, or something like that. That's why people were getting better speeds. I for one saw a marked increase. I was going from 4 or 5 meg download speeds, to 12 to 15 or so, on average. Obviously there were places I got less, and places that I got more.

Upvote 0
I honestly don't think you know what you're talking about. Sprint hasn't purchased T-Mobile. It's the company that owns Sprint, Softbank out of Japan, that is talking with T-Mobile (or more likely, T-Mo's parent company Deutsche Telecom). Even if the two companies have come to an agreement (which I don't know for sure), it still has to get US government approval for it to be official.

I see that you're new here, please do some reading before you make a blanket statement.
Well, that's what I heard on my local news radio broadcast. Sorry I didn't read up on it further or anything. All I heard from the broadcaster was "Sprint just bought T-Mobile today"
So I guess I heard wrong. But then again you are unsure too so....
seems we're both in the same boat on this one.
Just sayin.

Upvote 0
Ok so you're talking about a different phone. The F6 isn't the Motion. Maybe that fw update was only to block like you said, on the F6. The Motion could still be rooted. When I originally got the notification, the update didn't go through because I was rooted and had the supersu (or which ever one I had on my Motion, can't remember now) was a system app. I had to use the LG Mobile Support Tool to do my fw upgrade. In the process it un-rooted me. I then followed the same rooting process that was established way back when, and re-rooted my Motion. No problems.

As far as data speeds, someone (I believe it was gman) said that the fw update helped establish the Motion users to hop onto T-Mobile LTE, or something like that. That's why people were getting better speeds. I for one saw a marked increase. I was going from 4 or 5 meg download speeds, to 12 to 15 or so, on average. Obviously there were places I got less, and places that I got more.
Ooh. That's interesting!
Well, I have heard people state the F6 is one of the harder phones to root. I personally didn't find that to be the case since the F6 could be 1 click rooted while the Motion, at least when I did 1 year ago following someone's rooting steps, found it to be more difficult and time consuming.

So, maybe the firmware update was different codewise for the F6 than for the Motion. Or maybe it was the same but different LG models react differently to the same code.

But like I said, I saw no changes performance-wise in the F6 after the 12b update. We do live in NYC so perhaps location had something to do with performance changes. But I doubt it.

If I can find the webpage where the guy read the binary and made his statement I will post it up, but I bookmarked it months ago and I have a million bookmarks on my browser. It may take a while. That's if I even bookmarked it. it was months ago, yunno.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones