• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Metropcs 4g LTE seems slow. Is it throttled?

Wouldn't it make sense for you to just switch to T-Mobile?

So, here's the deal with Metro PCS. Regardless of the amount of data you've used, you are de-prioritized below anyone with a T-Mobile phone. What that means, is if you go to or live in a highly populated area, your phone is "less important" to the cell towers. I have the unlimited plan and I'm totally unable to stream music anywhere there is traffic (I use my phone for my radio in my car). I'm pulling up to 70mbps at home, but the moment I hit the roads or go to walmart or anywhere there are lots of people, it drop to less than 1mbps. It sucks, bad. I pay almost as much as a T-Mobile customer and my service is absolute crap when people are near me.

Upvote 0
That's like 3G (or even less) speeds. [emoji15]

that's nothing, this is so bad, it could make a grown man cry...

2124618519.png

Upvote 0
Last month I used 102 GB worth of data cause I use Netflix a lot and stream a lot of music. The month before it was close to 120 and the month before that was around 90 GB...
never been throttled
which phone?

Thanks everyone for the input, ive joined metro a couple of days ago. Ive only used bout 2gb. I was able to connect to my pc and use a usb tethe program.
which plan? which phone? let me know if you get throttled.

I love to hear stories like this. Not because i do or want to do the same with my plan, but because it gives me a little peace of mind with my use of 10+GB per month on my unlimited plan.

Since you work with MPCS, what do you know about accounts being red-flagged for this type of use, and after months of excessive data consumption being messaged warnings, and later throttled, and in some cases terminating their accounts?

I know i read this in some threads in the past. from OG members on the Metro section of this forum, however i dont know if this is still going on.
you on metro's unlimited plan?

I can agree with the OPs original post. I had a Metro $50 promo Unlimited plan. Great for 8 months. Then the last 2 I had it, at home it would get 3G speeds, 1.2mbps - while showing 4G Lte logo. I could toggle airplane mode, it would start up on band 12 for about 3 mins, being fast. Then it switched to band 4 and be crap speeds. Metro has it on their webpage. Metro users are prioritized behind all T-Mobile users. Its not a throttle. Probably depends on your areas, and users.
what phone was it? and how do you know what band you're on?

Jack, my buddy and I have the unlimited and he always uses over 100gb each month, no slow down at all. I don't use anything close to that, but never a problem.
which phones do you guys have?

Yeah I'm on the west side and I also never have an issue with speeds.
which phone/plan?

After 2 days of back and forth PMs with MetroPCS via facebook, my download speeds have jumped up to 10Mbps. In their last PM they asked me "how is your service running now?". I'm guessing they did something. :)
what plan are you on, Herb?

Upvote 0
Sorry, guys, I'm just really bummed out, after being throttled down to 0.01 Mbps, after being promised "unlimited 3G" speeds. I had always had positive experiences with them, til today, when I called to inquire about this. Lisa's (906811) only suggestion was to upgrade to their unlimited plan. She also said, when asked, that they have NO IDEA what speeds their 3G yields.

I am currently on a $30/mo. 6GB 4G LTE promo plan, which is usually enough GB for me. But I wanted to see what the "unlimited slowed speed/3G" was like. So I used up my 6GB. Had I known they'd slow me to nearly 0 (o.o4 Mbps), I don't think I'd have ever switched. I was on an old Sprint "unlimited high speed" family plan (I don't think they even offer unlimited plans anymore).

So BEWARE, people! If you're about to switch to a limited Metro plan, this could be your connection speed...

2124618519.png
:(

Grade: F- :(
(Slower than 97% of the USA)
:(

Last edited:
Upvote 0
ur smartphones are always playing Marco Polo with cell towers. There are Apps like "OpenSignal" that will tell u exactly WHICH towers you're hooked into. ur phones are constantly Latching/re-Latching onto different towers which depends on the time of day, cell traffic and location. It isnt just ONE factor when ur talking about the Internet on ur phones/tabs. If u work in Metropolis, that means u have too many tall buildings with 100s/1000s of smartphones all around you! You WILL get bumped now & then if u work in the big cities. If u live in Suburbia it depends on how close u are to the nearest cell tower. Also, inside ur home each room can have different cell Speeds. Thats why u need Apps to help u investigate which rooms are faster.

Time 00:00 & location are HUGE in deciding what 3G/4GLTE speed u will receive. There is also a West/East coast factor that can be tied into ur Speeds as well. 7PM in NYC (Primetime) is also 4PM in LA.. In L.A. people are preparing to leave work so they start jumping on their phones and start Yapping, meanwhile NY peeps are streaming YTube, Netflix, Twitter, NFL, etc. And the Texans are in-between both time zones at this point. This is the WORST time for all the phone carriers. During these times dont expect Blazzing Saddles speed! All the Networks will be choked-up during these times so be happy u get any quality speeds at all. Remember this is ur phone network NOT ur Home wifi network. Think of ALL the people in ur office sucking-off just 1 home cable line.

At home, ur speeds will go up when it gets later into the night. Someone above posted their SpeedTest pic. You can see they got 23.22 Mbps but it was at 1:17 in the morning! Hell, every cell is FAST at 1AM!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones