• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [MetroPCS/CDMA] [MOD][Hooked-Up SecMms.apk Mod for SGS3-R530M TouchWiz Roms]

Hey.. made a lil discovery for all yu non believers.. if your flashing this over a rom and think yu have no mms than ur wrong.. unless your not on a stock 4.1.2 tw rom..

It removes the mms from your task bar at bottom of screen but the mms still exists in your app drawer.. jus gotta put it back in taskbar on your own.. :) this what happens for me anyway.. your welcome

Reactions: mike28 and ARocker
Upvote 0
Hey.. made a lil discovery for all yu non believers.. if your flashing this over a rom and think yu have no mms than ur wrong.. unless your not on a stock 4.1.2 tw rom..

It removes the mms from your task bar at bottom of screen but the mms still exists in your app drawer.. jus gotta put it back in taskbar on your own.. :) this what happens for me anyway.. your welcome

Thanks big dog!!

Upvote 0

Could work but it was completely gone for me. Crazy how it acts differently. Either way, glad it works now.

Upvote 0
Could work but it was completely gone for me. Crazy how it acts differently. Either way, glad it works now.

It was completely gone for me as well. I looked in the app drawer, and it wasn't there.
I installed it separately, but it still wasn't there.
I tried installing two different SecMms.apk's, using Root Explorer, Titanium Backup, TWRP (v2.4.3 and v2.5), and Android Commander.

All no worky. :(
:thinking::thinking::thinking:

I got it to work on Metropolis 1.2.0, but not in #2 v1.03... which I just don't understand - it should work on both just fine. I don't think there's anything wrong with the ROMs, OR the Mod.... I'm starting to think it's just my phone - which would explain why so many ppl have had so many different results.

Idk... I'm no Dev, that's for sure. :eek:
But I have seen the same SW/FW act differently on various phones of the same make and model. Weird, huh?

Based on what little I know about Quantum Tunneling (the basic principle behind how modern circuitry works) , I think it's a miracle that they even work at all. lol

Upvote 0
for those of you experiencing issues tryig to install this.. try doing this after you flash and boot rom, use root browser or root explorer.. which ever.. and delete this file

/data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/
(this will delete your saved msgs so back them up if needed)

then reboot device ;) see if it helps

Upvote 0
for those of you experiencing issues tryig to install this.. try doing this after you flash and boot rom, use root browser or root explorer.. which ever.. and delete this file

/data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/
(this will delete your saved msgs so back them up if needed)

then reboot device ;) see if it helps

Thanks for the info and help :)
I really appreciate it man.

Upvote 0
It was completely gone for me as well. I looked in the app drawer, and it wasn't there.
I installed it separately, but it still wasn't there.
I tried installing two different SecMms.apk's, using Root Explorer, Titanium Backup, TWRP (v2.4.3 and v2.5), and Android Commander.

All no worky. :(
:thinking::thinking::thinking:

I got it to work on Metropolis 1.2.0, but not in #2 v1.03... which I just don't understand - it should work on both just fine. I don't think there's anything wrong with the ROMs, OR the Mod.... I'm starting to think it's just my phone - which would explain why so many ppl have had so many different results.

Idk... I'm no Dev, that's for sure. :eek:
But I have seen the same SW/FW act differently on various phones of the same make and model. Weird, huh?

Based on what little I know about Quantum Tunneling (the basic principle behind how modern circuitry works) , I think it's a miracle that they even work at all. lol
quick question :D
when yu flashed it over #2 did you already have started conversations in your mms app? and same question applies for when you flashed it over metropolis?

my theory is maybe the people who flashed this mod BEFORE they created any type of mms data for the device, are the same ones who had successfully flashed it..

and for the people trying to flash it on a rom which DOES have mms data, are probly the people who have been UNsuccessful :D

just a theory though.. lol

@ARocker, no prob man!! this a cool mod ;)

im working on porting some pretty cool features into #2 :D keep an eye out for the next updata lol, it's gonna be big!!

Reactions: mike28
Upvote 0
when yu flashed it over #2 did you already have started conversations in your mms app? and same question applies for when you flashed it over metropolis?

my theory is maybe the people who flashed this mod BEFORE they created any type of mms data for the device, are the same ones who had successfully flashed it..

and for the people trying to flash it on a rom which DOES have mms data, are probly the people who have been UNsuccessful :D

im working on porting some pretty cool features into #2 :D keep an eye out for the next updata lol, it's gonna be big!!

When I flashed #2 it was from a clean install. There was no mms data at all.

With Metropolis I flashed the mms mod both ways (clean install with no data and over data and messages). Both worked for me.

I had the same thought and is why I recommended a clean install that wiped data for those who had issues.

Would also apply if they tried to restore data from a backup of #2. Or possibly with TB.

Some were also installing a different kernel...thought that might also be a possible cause.

Looking forward to ur next version!

Reactions: Pappy62
Upvote 0

I did the same as Arocker stated above - with and wihout.

I have played with it enough to believe he's right about it being a Kernel thing... it worked fine (when it did work), until I flashed a different Kernel - OR Modem. (played with those a lot too)

Upvote 0
I did the same as Arocker stated above - with and wihout.

I have played with it enough to believe he's right about it being a Kernel thing... it worked fine (when it did work), until I flashed a different Kernel - OR Modem. (played with those a lot too)
nahh.. there no way it a kernel related issue.. that's just plain non-sense.. how and why would a working 4.1.2 kernel affect the mms? I think it's jus because your slapping a mod'd version of stock mms on top of normal stock mms and it's not reading it or properly installing it in the system (the device itself, not the script)

if I manually add the modded mms into my rom, then flash it without wiping data.. it wont appear..

but if I DO wipe data, it DOES appear, and works!! lol so I believe it may be as simple as deleting the mms data by itself, then maybe even try to re-install it.. im betting it will work!!! ill bet a mod lol ill do a mod for someone if im wrong and I didn't even test this out yet myself :p

Upvote 0
nahh.. there no way it a kernel related issue.. that's just plain non-sense.. how and why would a working 4.1.2 kernel affect the mms? I think it's jus because your slapping a mod'd version of stock mms on top of normal stock mms and it's not reading it or properly installing it in the system (the device itself, not the script)

if I manually add the modded mms into my rom, then flash it without wiping data.. it wont appear..

but if I DO wipe data, it DOES appear, and works!! lol so I believe it may be as simple as deleting the mms data by itself, then maybe even try to re-install it.. im betting it will work!!! ill bet a mod lol ill do a mod for someone if im wrong and I didn't even test this out yet myself :p

Well Sir, you know more about this stuff than I do. I'm no Dev.
If you say that what I said is non-sense, then what I said must be non-sense.

All I DO know, is that I've tried it every way I know possible... but as I've stated many times before - my phone is weird. VERY weird... in fact, all I HAVE seen from this phone is non-sense. lol

I didn't mean to fire you up LD.
Sorry about that

~Edit~
As a side-note, just for the record, "if I DO wipe data, it DOES appear, and works!"
Yep. I tried that. Several times.

"...deleting the mms data by itself, then maybe even try to re-install it"

Yep. Tried that too - again ,several times.
Maybe I should take my phone back to Metro and have it replaced?
Can't seem to understand how I could be so f'n stupid... so it's GOT to be something about my phone that's different?

Upvote 0
Well Sir, you know more about this stuff than I do. I'm no Dev.
If you say that what I said is non-sense, then what I said must be non-sense.

All I DO know, is that I've tried it every way I know possible... but as I've stated many times before - my phone is weird. VERY weird... in fact, all I HAVE seen from this phone is non-sense. lol

I didn't mean to fire you up LD.
Sorry about that

~Edit~
As a side-note, just for the record, "if I DO wipe data, it DOES appear, and works!"
Yep. I tried that. Several times.

"...deleting the mms data by itself, then maybe even try to re-install it"

Yep. Tried that too - again ,several times.
Maybe I should take my phone back to Metro and have it replaced?
Can't seem to understand how I could be so f'n stupid... so it's GOT to be something about my phone that's different?
hey haha my bad man jus seen this!! nahh no offense here bro!! I was just trying to help :p, sometimes its hard to read a persons tone of voice lol, like I said I haven't even tested the method myself, was just bein a smarta** :D, but it could possibly be on the right track to a solution.. maybe if we delete the mms data and do something else it'll work LOL

Reactions: Pappy62
Upvote 0
When I mentioned the kernel thing I was talking about roms like goodness, the sprint leak, chemistry and others like this in mind. They require you to flash the rom, a patch that replaces the rom radio and mms files with our stock versions, and finally a kernel for the rom to work on our phones and in that order.

Fir some reason with these roms, its got to be flashed in this specific order. If you flash the rom, then the kernel then flash the patch for instance, it won't work. It has to be flashed rom, patch, kernel.

#2 comes with the stock kernel so there was no issue there. Intill I read that the peeps having issues installing this mod were also installing a kernel that didn't come with #2.

I got it to work with #2 on the first try but with the normal kernel and after wiped data. So I was thinking maybe it was a kernel issue or perhaps the order it was flashed? but I was just thinking out loud really. :)

Upvote 0
When I mentioned the kernel thing I was talking about roms like goodness, the sprint leak, chemistry and others like this in mind. They require you to flash the rom, a patch that replaces the rom radio and mms files with our stock versions, and finally a kernel for the rom to work on our phones and in that order.

Fir some reason with these roms, its got to be flashed in this specific order. If you flash the rom, then the kernel then flash the patch for instance, it won't work. It has to be flashed rom, patch, kernel.

#2 comes with the stock kernel so there was no issue there. Intill I read that the peeps having issues installing this mod were also installing a kernel that didn't come with #2.

I got it to work with #2 on the first try but with the normal kernel and after wiped data. So I was thinking maybe it was a kernel issue or perhaps the order it was flashed? but I was just thinking out loud really. :)
oo ok :D I missed all that in the previous posts LOL, thought it was still an unsolved issue haha I need to read more..

Upvote 0
Another thing I also know - BOTH you guys have done SO MUCH for this forum, and the SGS3 community as a whole... I apologize for any misunderstandings I may have caused prior.

Metro PCS SGS3 owners are so VERY lucky to have such great Mods, Devs, Themers and testers working side-by-side to make this phone the very best in America.

'Nough said on that, and everyone KNOWS it to be true!
;)

(and for those that don't - just ask me... I'll tell ya! lol) :D

Reactions: ARocker and mike28
Upvote 0
Ok...

Delete the secmms.apk from the system/app folder.

Then delete the data folder on your internal sdcard...thats android/data

Then flash or push the modded apk.

Try that...

Still no go. I tried both ways flashing, pushing manually. Fixed permissions and. ...... no go:/ ah well guys I'll have to cut my conversations short and send multiple sms -__- Thanks though. I was wondering if there are other 4.1.2 twRoms without this issue so that i can try pushing their mms.apk?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones