• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [MetroPCS/CDMA] Question about flashing custom ROMS with or w/o using a computer

thefowlerfam

Dec 31, 2011
Holiday, FL
I was wondering if not using a computer to download & flash new ROMS will cause problems with either the ROM or my phone. I used my laptop to root my GS3, but shortly after my laptop quit on me. So I started to just download a ROM straight to my phone using the phone. Every ROM I've used I've done this way. Right now I'm running CM11 & android 4.4.2, the reason I ask is I haven't seen anyone doing it like that. In all of the instruction sets for the ROMS they all use a computer to download & put the ROM on the phones SD card. Now I haven't had any problems with any of the ROMs I've used. I did have some files that wouldn't flash. I do wonder if some features or something doesn't work, but I don't think I've had that problem. So anyways, is there a up or downside to using a computer or not using one?? Any input on this subject is greatly appreciated....

I was wondering if not using a computer to download & flash new ROMS will cause problems with either the ROM or my phone. I used my laptop to root my GS3, but shortly after my laptop quit on me. So I started to just download a ROM straight to my phone using the phone. Every ROM I've used I've done this way. Right now I'm running CM11 & android 4.4.2, the reason I ask is I haven't seen anyone doing it like that. In all of the instruction sets for the ROMS they all use a computer to download & put the ROM on the phones SD card. Now I haven't had any problems with any of the ROMs I've used. I did have some files that wouldn't flash. I do wonder if some features or something doesn't work, but I don't think I've had that problem. So anyways, is there a up or downside to using a computer or not using one?? Any input on this subject is greatly appreciated....

I do the same thing... No problem at all... The reason why they put that in instructions is because its easier for people to transfer the files with a computer...now, as long as you have a good internet conection (4G LTE, or Wi-Fi) you are able to download the roms and gapss and put it into your external sd card... There are apps that can do the job like solid explorer...( thats the one i use as my file manager, to zip and un-zip files, to trabsfers files, etc) with no problem at all..... You can do it either way... As long as you know what your doing.

Reactions: thefowlerfam
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones