1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root [MetroPCS/CDMA] Question about flashing custom ROMS with or w/o using a computer

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by thefowlerfam, Jan 21, 2014.

1. thefowlerfam

thefowlerfam Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 31, 2011
    Male
    self employed
    Holiday, FL
    I was wondering if not using a computer to download & flash new ROMS will cause problems with either the ROM or my phone. I used my laptop to root my GS3, but shortly after my laptop quit on me. So I started to just download a ROM straight to my phone using the phone. Every ROM I've used I've done this way. Right now I'm running CM11 & android 4.4.2, the reason I ask is I haven't seen anyone doing it like that. In all of the instruction sets for the ROMS they all use a computer to download & put the ROM on the phones SD card. Now I haven't had any problems with any of the ROMs I've used. I did have some files that wouldn't flash. I do wonder if some features or something doesn't work, but I don't think I've had that problem. So anyways, is there a up or downside to using a computer or not using one?? Any input on this subject is greatly appreciated....

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    I can't think of any, if all you have to do is put the downloaded file in the root of the SD card. How it gets there is irrelevant.

thefowlerfam likes this.
  3. confed

confed Android Expert
    None

Apr 9, 2011
    Male
    Philly
    I dont see where it could be an issue. I have never read an instruction set that directed you to download via computer before transferring to your SD card.

thefowlerfam likes this.
  4. djgyo12

djgyo12 Member
    None

Nov 19, 2013
    I do the same thing... No problem at all... The reason why they put that in instructions is because its easier for people to transfer the files with a computer...now, as long as you have a good internet conection (4G LTE, or Wi-Fi) you are able to download the roms and gapss and put it into your external sd card... There are apps that can do the job like solid explorer...( thats the one i use as my file manager, to zip and un-zip files, to trabsfers files, etc) with no problem at all..... You can do it either way... As long as you know what your doing.

thefowlerfam likes this.
  5. thefowlerfam

thefowlerfam Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 31, 2011
    Male
    self employed
    Holiday, FL
    Thank you for the replies. I didn't think it would matter. Like you said as long as its downloaded to the sd card. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on any features of the ROMs by doing it that way....thanks again