• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [MetroPCS/CDMA] [rom][aokp/4.1.2] 11.3.2012 [unofficial]

Please move along.
I is of stupid...

What? Lol. If you are telling me to move along with the build, gimme a break! Lol I been working non stop for you guys for a week :p

The build last night had an error during compilation, so it's taking a little longer than it was supposed to. It's coming today though. :thumbup:

Upvote 0
What? Lol. If you are telling me to move along with the build, gimme a break! Lol I been working non stop for you guys for a week :p

The build last night had an error during compilation, so it's taking a little longer than it was supposed to. It's coming today though. :thumbup:

Thanks for your hard work ChiweN :thumbup:

Reactions: speed72584
Upvote 0
hello all,

been rocking the SGSIII for a couple of weeks now and stumbled across this forum via the interwebz...
gotta say, i am totally in awe of the talent and info i see here (which is what inspired me to finally join )

i am a n00b to rooting, modding, hacking, etc...

but, thanks to info i have gotten from this forum, i have successfully rooted my MPCS SGSIII...

now gonna attempt the jump to the next level and install a custom ROM (i think i got that right)...

any tips, tricks, or info you guys can bestow upon my n00bie brain is much appreciated...

thanks in advance

Upvote 0
hello all,

been rocking the SGSIII for a couple of weeks now and stumbled across this forum via the interwebz...
gotta say, i am totally in awe of the talent and info i see here (which is what inspired me to finally join )

but, thanks to info i have gotten from this forum, i have successfully rooted my MPCS SGSIII...

now gonna attempt the jump to the next level and install a custom ROM (i think i got that right)...

any tips, tricks, or info you guys can bestow upon my n00bie brain is much appreciated...

thanks in advance

Welcome to the metro s3 all things root yes you are on the right path since you are now rooted you can play with all 3 roms avaliable I am rocking aopk which you can use as a daily driver but there are other 2 roms you will see them on the thread this roms are still being worked on to fix minor bugs other than that we will see further development so good times for us on the metro side :)

Upvote 0
hello all,

thanks in advance

Welcome to AF. ;)

Enjoy your stay here, this entire forum has so much to offer.

Upvote 0
so many options...
where to begin? or is one better than another?

better still, since i am new to this is there one i should try as a "starter" type of thing? :thinking:

may require a little "hand holding" to get through this... so my apologies up front...

and, please use the K.I.S.S. method with me... some of the terminology isz waaaaay over my head right now

Imo, AOKP is by far the best Rom out for any phone. Match it with a good kernel that cooperates with your phone and you'll never need anything else. Except the update when it drops ;)

Upvote 0
so many options...
where to begin? or is one better than another?

better still, since i am new to this is there one i should try as a "starter" type of thing? :thinking:

may require a little "hand holding" to get through this... so my apologies up front...

and, please use the K.I.S.S. method with me... some of the terminology isz waaaaay over my head right now

Welcome to AF. I am using baked black bean. It incorporates aokp and cm together in one. Definitely my favorite by far. Good luck!

Reactions: cynicalninja2k
Upvote 0
hello all,

thanks in advance

The best tip I can give to you is to first install a recovery. I prefer TWRP but CWM is good too. Then before you do anything boot into recovery and make a backup. I like to keep this first backup on my external sdcard and all future roms on my internal sdcard.

As for roms you can install all of them and see which ones you like. I have all three on my internal and switch them out four or five times a day. :)

Upvote 0
Imo, AOKP is by far the best Rom out for any phone. Match it with a good kernel that cooperates with your phone and you'll never need anything else. Except the update when it drops ;)

The kernel is coming soon ;) and the rom update is coming today when I get home from work.

Welcome to af cynicalninja :). As far as what rom for the MetroPCS S3 is concerned, I believe aokp is definitely good as a daily driver, by far the best at the moment. Of course I'm partial to it because I'm the one building it lol. ;) I do believe that you will find it to be a bug free experience.

There's lots of stuff to play with already and plenty more to come. Development is heating up for our s3 ;)

Have fun with it! And remember the most important step, backup first!

Upvote 0
great... now i'm going to need a bigger sdcard... lol

really appreciate the quick responses and advice... :thumb:

airtioteclint: internal and external?

confused i am...:thinking:

Your phone if its like my phone comes with 16gb of internal hardrive. They call it sdcard. Confusing i know but to lessen the confusion it called internal sdcard.

Your external sd card is the actual micro sdcard you can remove. The reason i like to put my stock backup on the external is because you never know something can go wrong with the phone and its internal card gets wiped. Hasnt happened yet but better safe then sorry.

So keep it in mind when your saving or trying to access your sd cards with any program which card you've got something in.

Upvote 0
thanks,airtioteclint.

figured that was what u were referring to... but wanted to be certain.

well... going to backup and install some of the flashy ROM goodness and see what happens...

thanks all...

let's hope my next post is not full of frowny faces and stoopid questions... ;)

Take your time, follow directions and ask questions. You'll be fine ;)

Good luck

Upvote 0
Ok... How to I backup to my external sd card? :eek:

Backed up to pc using Kies...

Just not sure how to get a backup onto the card?

Do I use Kies for that as well?

What?? No no. Kies have nothing to do with this. Have you got TWRP installed yet? To do this download and install goo manager from the playstore. open it hit the phones menu key and choose install recovery. Once you have that done pick boot into recovery from the main menu of goo manager and back up from there.

Upvote 0
Followed what u told me to do.
Once I selected recovery reboot, I booted into recovery mode and get these options:

Reboot system now
Apply update from external storage
Wipe data/ factory reset
Wipe cache partition
Apply update from cache

Did I do something wrong?

Open up goomanager. Click the settings button on your phone. A menu pops up and you can choose open recovery script. That can flash twrp for you. You might have problems downloading over the air so be sure to use wifi if you experience errors.

Now you don't have to use this recovery but a good chunk of us here recommend it.

Upvote 0
Open up goomanager. Click the settings button on your phone. A menu pops up and you can choose open recovery script. That can flash twrp for you. You might have problems downloading over the air so be sure to use wifi if you experience errors.

Now you don't have to use this recovery but a good chunk of us here recommend it.

to add to this, you will need to be rooted to do it via this. you can use odin or the one click script to root

Upvote 0
Hola amigo Como stas me pieces sacar de una duda ya instaale la room gracias poor recomendarmelo sta padre mi pregunta es cuando suben in nuevo link lose que me Haven update tengo que seguir los mismos pasos

cuando vea el nuevo link para el update aga lo mismo factory reset y install y cuando terminas abajo vas aver un boton que dice wipe cache/dalvik le das ayi dispues instala el gapp dispues dale reboot system

Reactions: speed72584
Upvote 0
Rom has been updated. Download it from the Goo Manager app or the link in the op. If you are using/plan to use the inverted gapps download the new Inverted Gapps package from the link. Make sure your inverted Gapps download zip is named InvertedGappsV3.

Changes:
Added DSP Manager
Added MMS.apk built from source.
Added Inverted MMS.apk to Inverted Gapps.
Optimized Inverted Gapps package > Now version 3
Various Tweaks and fixes.

If already using AOKP you don't have to do a full wipe before flashing the new build. Just wipe data/cache and flash it. Flash Gapps, or InvertedGappsV3 from op, wipe data/cache again. Reboot. Done.

If you experience any issues at all with MMS do the following:
Delete all messages in the app.
Go to Settings > apps > scroll over to all > messaging > clear data.

It should work perfect after this.

Download HERE: AOKP Build 11.8.12
GApps: GApps JellyBean
Inverted GApps: InvertedGappsV3-JB

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones