• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [MetroPCS] Help - Losing Phone Functions trying to Root (Camera/Middle Button)

Xieon

May 27, 2012
I made a post about a day ago about a camera problem but it seems to have been fixed, now I'm back to having problems.

I have the LG Optimus F6

Going through to motions of rooting + sd hack from Press Y for Pie, (which is detrailed in the sticky thread at the top of this forum) I've been trying to end up with a rooted version of 12b.

I have no problem getting a rooted 12b or 10i but the problem is I have to sacrifice funcionality.

I either lose the ability to use my camera. If this happens I can only use the front facing camera. If I try to switch it to the rear camera it stays stuck on the front cam. If I take pictures it takes pics, but only from the front cam. I have no idea how to fix this, or recreate it.

The second problem is that the camera runs fine, and I can switch between back, and front except I lost the function of my middle button. If I had a bunch of apps going and I want to get to the main screen I can't just hit that button. Instead of I have to close our all the apps 1 by 1, or press back a million times until I've backed all the way back through the apps to get where I want to be.

I've done factory etc, but nothing seems to work.

Anyone have any ideas of what I can do?????

It's probably being caused by something that was done by the exploit you used to obtain temporary root (which is how one-click root programs work). Find oone that uses an exploit that doesn't cause those problems. Just putting the su binary file in /system/bin (that's all root is) shouldn't have anything to do with the camera or the controls.

Upvote 0
I've isolated the problem to PressYforPie's SD Card Hack.

Factory Reset
Downgrade to 10i
Get Root (easy 1 root script)
Then use Vodoo to keep root,
Install 12b from OTA
Use Vodoo to re-install root.

At this point all buttons work, and camera work.

After I use the SD Card Hack from Pressy Camera gets locked on face cam only. What exactly do I need to do to have the camera work with Pressy? Custom Kernal? If so which one?

Also, when should the Kernal be switched?

I can get all the way up to having 12b with root.
The next step is using the SD Card Hack which breaks camera. So obviously before this? But not sure where in the process.

Help: I'm trying to use the Freedom Kernal, which is what I've been told will work with Pressy's card hack, and allow my camera to work. On the forums it's not listed, only the link to where the files are hosted: http://androidcreations.weebly.com/freedom-kernel-overclocked-f6.html

When I try to load that page it doesn't load, it hangs after loading the top image. Could someone please open that page, and copy the instructions, files to a different page, or on the forum, so I can access them. A DB folder would be fine too.

Upvote 0
When I try to load that page it doesn't load, it hangs after loading the top image. Could someone please open that page, and copy the instructions, files to a different page, or on the forum, so I can access them. A DB folder would be fine too.

I do not want my direct download links hosted anywhere. My site is working fine. Open it on your PC and if you're already doing that then open it on your phone. Either way it's working fine.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones