• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My phone does not record videos - help please?!

MartinW12

Lurker
Jul 6, 2020
Hello,

I have a Lenovo/Motorola Moto G5 running Android Oreo (version 8.1.0).

When I try to record a video, it always stops immediately having recorded a 0s long video. These 0s videos are viewable in my "ES File Explorer" app but they're not visible in the camera app itself.

Specifically, this is what happens:
  1. I open up the camera app
  2. I tap on the video icon
  3. I tap on the red button to start recording a video
  4. It flashes up the red "REC" circle in the middle of the screen to signify it is recording
  5. It immediatelly says "The ringer volume was restored"
  6. It switches back to the normal "photo" camera
Does anyone have any suggestion as to what I can do to make it record videos?

Thanks,

Martin

Look in your Settings >> Storage menu and confirm there's adequate free storage space in your internal storage. Then look in the Settings >> Apps menu, find and open the Camera app entry, and look in its Permissions to confirm that Storage is enabled. You might also want to look at its Defaults and clear it. It's odd that ringer volume message pops up. That shouldn't have anything to do with the Camera app so something that's linking the two should be cleared.

If none of that helps, try using Clear data on the Camera app. Using Clear data will wipe its settings and config files, along with the app's cache. This should return the app to its first time used state so if you had made any changes previously to its defaults you'll have to redo them in the app's Settings menu.

Upvote 0
How much free storage space is in your phone's internal storage?
And just to confirm, taking pictures are still OK and this problem is happening only when trying to record video? Or are both a problem?
Does it make any difference if you use the front selfie camera or the rear main camera? Or are both having this problem with videos?

Try recording a video while your phone is running in its Safe Mode:
https://www.hardreset.info/devices/motorola/motorola-moto-g5s/safe-mode/

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones