• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [MetroPCS] [MS500] Freedom Kernel Overclocked **Updated 6/17/15**

Hi ,

Today I installed this kernel and it seems that definitely there is an improvement ( esp initial sd card check speed during boot)
I have few small questions,
1. do I need to install the setCPU as for this kernerl to work properly
2. sometime I see that max speed is different than what i have set ( is it behavior specific to some governor type , one selects ?)

pls advise
  1. You can use any cpu control app you want (setcpu is fine) or the app that comes with the kernel. Do not install 2 different cpu apps or settings may not stick.
  2. I don't have that issue using the app that comes with the kernel.

Upvote 0
  1. You can use any cpu control app you want (setcpu is fine) or the app that comes with the kernel. Do not install 2 different cpu apps or settings may not stick.
Okay so either I can use your app or any other app, got it thanks. as of now I am using your app

I don't have that issue using the app that comes with the kernel
so may be some other program doing it , on one occasion when I ran the Antntu bench mark I noticed max frequency changed to max 1728 ( even though I never gave Antntu super user permission) , few more questions , pardon me :)
  • How to know which other program is inferring with max frequency , if it is not changed automatically ?
  • I also noticed that 2nd cpu is set to 1728 max , is this the default setting and always like this with freedom kernel ? Freedom app( and I believe others as well) are changing the cpu0 speed only ( looks like) I used kernel tuner to check the speed of both the cpus
  • does checking the seton boot flag will alter the original settings, or it done using init script
  • how to reset the setting to default original value

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi,

I am not sure what is happeing ( never happened with any other devices , these strange things)
here is another story.. believe I know waht I was doing and I have done this earlier as well

after resotring my device, did the rooting using saferoot , verified root and then I installed freedom kernel ( before installing any recovery, kept the phone on stock)
  1. everything was going great until I decided to install the recovery again using f6 utilities,
    for some reason f6 utilities didnt install the CWM and when I tried to reboot to recovery phone rebooted as normal ( green android came in which meant no custom recovery)
  2. so I tried using the lte2 touch recovery, phone rebooted normally ( no green android) and now phone is not connecting to WIFI ( tell avoided due to poor connection ) , doesnt detect any phone network , tried rebooting many times
  3. when I tried to open my TB it is telling me that there is no root on this phone,
    who removed that ? link2sd is not working
  4. I tried doing ADB but same computer is not detecting the devices as media devices
  5. I tried connecting as lg software/camera and adb devices showed the list but root is failing ( same root method which worked earlier like a charm
here is the log

[*] Sending files to your device...

[*] Starting rooting program.
ro.build.product=f6
ro.build.id=JZO54K
setsockopt() failed: Bad address.
this device is not supported.
kallsyms_addresses search failed.

[*] Checking if rooting succeeded
[*] Unfortunately, rooting failed. Cleaning up.
Press any key to continue . . .

So basically I cannot install any recovery now since I have freedom kernel already ( mistake that I put kernel before installing the recovery) and any rooting method wont work since I have patched kernel. even though kernel is already rooted , for some reason other apps wont see it ?

Experts please help me to get out of this situation ( I dont want to use KDZ method now since adb shell command is working and I can do su as well)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi,

I am not sure what is happeing ( never happened with any other devices , these strange things)
here is another story.. believe I know waht I was doing and I have done this earlier as well

after resotring my device I installed freedom kernel ( before installing any recovery, kept the phone on stock)
  1. everything was going great until I decided to intall the recvoey again using f6 utiliites,
    for some reason f6 utilities didnt install the CWM and when I tried to reboot to recovery phone rebooted as normal ( green android came in which meant no custom recovery)
  2. so I tried using the lte2 touch recovery, phone rebooted normally ( no green android) and now phone is not connecting to WIFI ( tell avoided due to poor connection ) , doesnt detect any phone network , tried rebooting many times
  3. when I tried to open my TB it is telling me that there is no root on this phone,
    who removed that ? link2sd is not working
  4. I tried doing ADB but same computor is not detectig the devices as media devices
  5. I tried connecting as lg software/camera and adb devices showed the list but root is failing ( same root method which worked earlier like a charm
here is the log

[*] Sending files to your device...

[*] Starting rooting program.
ro.build.product=f6
ro.build.id=JZO54K
setsockopt() failed: Bad address.
this device is not supported.
kallsyms_addresses search failed.

[*] Checking if rooting succeeded
[*] Unfortunately, rooting failed. Cleaning up.
Press any key to continue . . .

So basically I cannot install any recovery now since I have freedom kernel already ( mistake that I put kernle before intalling the recovery) and any rooting method wont work since I have patched kernel. even though kernel is already rooted , for some reason other apps wont see it ?

Experts please help me to get out of this situation ( I dont want to use KDZ method now since adb shell command is working and I can do su as well)

Since this is a kernel thread I'll point you to the threads you need to fix your issue. Good luck

Unbrick Guide:
http://androidforums.com/threads/metropcs-guide-using-kdz-to-get-back-to-ms50010i-firmware.843494/

Root:
http://androidforums.com/threads/metropcs-guide-rooting-the-optimus-f6-and-recovery.823131/

TWRP recovery:
http://androidforums.com/threads/metropcs-recovery-twrp-lokied-new-apk-version-08-27-14.861281/

Reactions: viperdink
Upvote 0

thanks a lot for the links...
Reason I posted here since it all happened after installing the kernel ( and custom recovery installation failed for some reason and now I have strange issue)
and I believe you and many other gurus can help me to get my phone out of this situation :)
btw this all has helped me to learn new things ;)

So only way to get out of this situation is to use the KDZ unbrick method ?
if yes, can I upgrade to 12b and use your guide

http://androidcreations.weebly.com/unbrick-unroot-factory-restore-ms500.html

Upvote 0
thanks a lot for the links...
Reason I posted here since it all happened after installing the kernel ( and custom recovery installation failed for some reason and now I have strange issue)
and I believe you and many other gurus can help me to get my phone out of this situation :)
btw this all has helped me to learn new things ;)

So only way to get out of this situation is to use the KDZ unbrick method ?
if yes, can I upgrade to 12b and use your guide

http://androidcreations.weebly.com/unbrick-unroot-factory-restore-ms500.html

The kernel has nothing to do with recovery. Your recovery issue happened for some other reason. Use the recovery I linked you to, that's the one you should've been using to begin with.

Yes you can unbrick with my guide instead. It unbricks your phone to 12b.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The kernel has nothing to do with recovery. Your recovery issue happened for some other reason. Use the recovery I linked you to, that's the one you should've been using to begin with.

Yes you can unbrick with my guide instead. It unbricks your phone to 12b.

thanks GT , much appreciated
I am able to unbrick ( phone which doesnt look like bricked but behaving strangely !) using your guide to 12b.

can you please help me with the queries/question I posted earlier
http://androidforums.com/threads/me...d-updated-6-17-15.827737/page-17#post-7108980

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones