• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [MetroPCS] [MS500] Freedom Kernel Overclocked **Updated 6/17/15**

All he did was revert the changescto read ahead if u have s good SD and like it the way it is then don't update
Thank you but that's not what I'm asking. I know what the changes are. I'm just curious if there's a way to modify it on my own, or if he could provide an alternate download for those who do have good SD cards. Because if there are any changes that are made in the future that further increase the speed of the phone, I would like to have the ability to update to said kernel but also keep the increased SD card read speed. Because from my knowledge, google play only lets you install the latest version of an app. There's no in between. So for anyone else I know that has my same phone, they won't have access to the older version of the kernel that I'm using.

Upvote 0
Kernel Updated

Changes:
  • ROW scheduler and algorithm
  • SIO Plus scheduler
  • Minor speed update for Freedom governor
ROW scheduler is my favorite and arguably the best one. ROW means "Read Over Write". It gives priority to reads for smoother UI operation and app launching or anything read intensive. It's a rare scheduler usually only found in aosp roms and newer phones with lollipop.

Will this turn your phone into a fire breathing dragon? No, but it can potentially help make things a little smoother. :p

If you have my freedom app installed the play store will push the update to you soon and then you can click to install button in the app to install the new kernel. ;)

Upvote 0
Kernel Updated

Changes:
  • ROW scheduler and algorithm
  • SIO Plus scheduler
  • Minor speed update for Freedom governor
ROW scheduler is my favorite and arguably the best one. ROW means "Read Over Write". It gives priority to reads for smoother UI operation and app launching or anything read intensive. It's a rare scheduler usually only found in aosp roms and newer phones with lollipop.

Will this turn your phone into a fire breathing dragon? No, but it can potentially help make things a little smoother. :p

If you have my freedom app installed the play store will push the update to you soon and then you can click to install button in the app to install the new kernel. ;)

Would you recommend using this over the other scedulers? I've been using tripndroid and the switch actually feels like it reduces the speed in which I type into apps.

Upvote 0
Would you recommend using this over the other scedulers? I've been using tripndroid and the switch actually feels like it reduces the speed in which I type into apps.

It's up to you. Everyone's experience may vary. I've been using it for some time now on one of my other phones and my new phone came with it on the stock lollipop kernel. It's become my favorite.

Edit:
Forgot to mention, I've been using row on the f6 for about a month now before posting the update. My experience with it was good. Tripndroid is a great well rounded scheduler so if it's running well for you just stick with it. That's what I was using before row.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's up to you. Everyone's experience may vary. I've been using it for some time now on one of my other phones and my new phone came with it on the stock lollipop kernel. It's become my favorite.

Edit:
Forgot to mention, I've been using row on the f6 for about a month now before posting the update. My experience with it was good. Tripndroid is a great well rounded scheduler so if it's running well for you just stick with it. That's what I was using before row.

Yeah I understand, what exactly is the freedom governor? I can't find any information on it.

Upvote 0
Hi ,

Today I installed this kernel and it seems that definitely there is an improvement ( esp initial sd card check speed during boot)
I have few small questions,
1. do I need to install the setCPU as for this kernerl to work properly
2. sometime I see that max speed is different than what i have set ( is it behavior specific to some governor type , one selects ?)

pls advise

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones