• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

MetroPCS & T-mobile outages and tower upgrades.

sorry for being off topic.
from reading in xda forums it seems unlocked bootloader in a nexus is not a problem from warranties point of view but i am not sure about rooting.
also from reading i found an interesting tidbit that google play editions were for rooting, hardware testing, whatnot but nexus was intended mainly for an app developer platform, not hardware. but we root and do it anyway ;)
also it seems t-mobile app checks for root in your phone.

Reactions: DirtyDee
Upvote 0
IF the tower closest to your house IS the one you hook up to, yes, the apps like open source should tell you how far away it is.

There is no magic app however that can show you where all of any carriers towers are. (That I am aware of anyway)

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Well I'll check out the open source app see if it provides any useful info.

Upvote 0
my samsung admire 4g keeps losing internet..ive googled this and tried everything it said but still no fix..ive even done a factory resest three times thinkin it was a virus..this problem just started a week or so ago and only in certain areas. could this be due to the tower upgrades? my zip code is 76112. is there anyway to fix this. any help would be appreciated. my carrier is metro pcs

Upvote 0
my samsung admire 4g keeps losing internet..ive googled this and tried everything it said but still no fix..ive even done a factory resest three times thinkin it was a virus..this problem just started a week or so ago and only in certain areas. could this be due to the tower upgrades? my zip code is 76112. is there anyway to fix this. any help would be appreciated. my carrier is metro pcs

Have you tried updating your prl with *228, and yes it could be due to the towers. Which plan are you on?

Edit: if that doesn't work one member would normally tell you to head over to the metro PCs Facebook page and throw a brick at...errr send a pm the Facebook is known for being more competent.

Upvote 0
Have you tried updating your prl with *228, and yes it could be due to the towers. Which plan are you on?

Edit: if that doesn't work one member would normally tell you to head over to the metro PCs Facebook page and throw a brick at...errr send a pm the Facebook is known for being more competent.

im on the 60.00 unlimited everything plan... ill try updating my prl to *228 see if tht works thanks

Upvote 0
@akmsr have you happened to notice any spotty 4G coverage there.
sorry no. it actually gotten worse in the last couple o weeks. dropped calls, lower data speeds, drops connection right and left. during the day data connection is unbearable. i still see H icon when i launch a browser but it settles down to 3G. you said its something like HSPA 7.2
are they done working at my tower? its the 3rd one on the list you provided. the permit page status still says open :(

Upvote 0
If you currently have 2G there it would be upgraded to LTE by summer 2015. Which area is it if you don't mind?
well officially this place has 2G, in reality if i stand on the street for couple of minutes i have enough signal to send a text, placing a call is a roll of the dice and zero data not even E. go in a structure, zero signal. this is a dead spot for t-mobile and sprint. at&t has fringe signal, enough to make calls and text and 3g/hspa level data. only verizon has moderate signal.
it is in the middle of a county road 42, near deland, fL 32720, place called forest hills. 31446 county road 42.
thats why i switched to straight talk with att sim. i am tethering now but will be limited to 3 GB of data. can't wait to switch back to metro when tmobile upgrades the tower :eek:. do your magic thingie Gman and find me a tower near me :D

Upvote 0
well officially this place has 2G, in reality if i stand on the street for couple of minutes i have enough signal to send a text, placing a call is a roll of the dice and zero data not even E. go in a structure, zero signal. this is a dead spot for t-mobile and sprint. at&t has fringe signal, enough to make calls and text and 3g/hspa level data. only verizon has moderate signal.
it is in the middle of a county road 42, near deland, fL 32720, place called forest hills. 31446 county road 42.
thats why i switched to straight talk with att sim. i am tethering now but will be limited to 3 GB of data. can't wait to switch back to metro when tmobile upgrades the tower :eek:. do your magic thingie Gman and find me a tower near me :D

If it's lake county tmobiles been submitting some permits the last couple months to start modernizing there. In an hour or so I'll look to see if I can find them. Lmao btw LTE is up near Avon Park, seems SIMs can't register just yet so it's not fully running yet. Why I had asked that question about a month ago ;)

Reactions: akmsr
Upvote 0

These are some of the permits but none of them would really help you. But just showing they are doing them. The one that I'm guessing you connect to and would help you but no permits have been submitted yet is at 33800 State Road 44 (A019-B)
http://goo.gl/maps/azLy3

It's a very short tower too only 51ft and with a lot of trees around I would guess... but modernizing should extend that signal significantly

Reactions: akmsr
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones