• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [MetroPCS & T-Mobile] T-Mobile ROM vs. MetroPCS ROM: One is better. Here's why.

Last night I flashed my T-Mobile P659 with the MetroPCS firmware using the image from the unbrick recovery thread. It took the image without a hitch, which raises the question: Is one better than the other?

For the most part, the ROMs are practically identical. Their kernels and system build numbers are identical. There are very minor aesthetic differences, and each has their own carrier-specific apps (i.e. MetroPCS has its own Wi-Fi calling app).

T-Mobile ROM has Lookout Security installed, MetroPCS has Rhapsody Music installed. I'd uninstall either.

But there is one thing which sets the two slightly apart. The T-Mobile ROM has 3 apps:

System Manager Application
System Manager Notification
System Manager Toggle

These 3 apps make up the "collect diagnostics" section under Backup & Reset in System Settings of the T-Mobile ROM. If you have a T-Mobile device then I'll let you read for yourself what it says. From what I can tell, this is Carrier IQ software. And I don't want it on my phone. Even when you opt out in the settings mentioned above, the apps are still there and 2 out of 3 of them are ones which you can't disable in the app manager.

While they can of course be removed from the ROM using Titanium Backup (if rooted, naturally), that software is altogether absent from the MetroPCS ROM. All other things being equal, in my mind that gives the MetroPCS ROM the edge in terms of a ROM to begin with and customize. One other minor detail: the MetroPCS ROM lacks the annoying startup and shutdown sounds that are on the T-Mobile ROM (the T-Mobile jingle).

Obviously if you have service on T-Mobile, you might be thinking you want to stick with that ROM for use with their Wi-Fi calling, etc. But given how similar the ROMs are otherwise, I think you'd have no problem backing up those T-Mobile apps with Titanium Backup, flashing the MetroPCS ROM and then restoring the T-Mobile apps. I haven't tried this myself though as I don't have T-Mobile service, so if someone does, please let the rest of us know whether it works or not (in particular the Wi-Fi calling).

If you do flash to a different ROM, I suggest doing a Factory Reset afterwards, as the flashing process seems to only copy data into place -- it doesn't perform a wipe, which means all your apps and customizations will still be there, but you won't be starting with a truly fresh install. Ideally you should probably do one before and one after.

You don't need to backup the wireless calling app. I have an LG Optimus L9 with metro service. When I flashed to T-Mobile firmware, it worked. Same worked for other people vice versa. :p
Edit: one thing that you will not be able to do with the opposite firmware is set your e911 address with the bloatware app. You will have to call customer service, and if you have metro, it takes forever to get a human.

Upvote 0
Edit: one thing that you will not be able to do with the opposite firmware is set your e911 address with the bloatware app. You will have to call customer service, and if you have metro, it takes forever to get a human.

Wait, are you saying that the metropcs rom can't set the e911 address easily or the t-mobile rom? :thinking:
I can actually set my e911 address on my metropcs phone easily using that "MyMetro" app. The version that was shipped with the f3 phones from metropcs is outdated though, but an update through the Play store made it work for me.

Upvote 0
Wait, are you saying that the metropcs rom can't set the e911 address easily or the t-mobile rom? :thinking:
I can actually set my e911 address on my metropcs phone easily using that "MyMetro" app. The version that was shipped with the f3 phones from metropcs is outdated though, but an update through the Play store made it work for me.

The way I read it he's saying with the opposite carriers ROM, whatever that happens to be for you

Upvote 0
I know that this thread is old, but I have something I think. Correct me if I'm wrong, but maybe the t-mobile and metro pcs f3 are actually the same device just with a different firmware. I mean they look alike and opposite firmware can be flashed along with everything for the metro pcs working for the t-mobile and vice versa. Thats just what I think, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones