• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Mi 9 Lite - Broken Display

Gadash

Lurker
Dec 26, 2020
My Mi 9 Lite fell off display down. Just from 3 feet, but the impact sound was nasty.
There was a tempered glass and a silicon back cover which had a bit high edges. But the cement floor was not perfectly flat. The tempered glass already had cracks from a previous fall months ago. No new cracks observed.
I picked up the phone and pressed the power button. Unlock screen appeared as usual. Did not unlock as it was very dark. Did not try to unlock it and I thought it is fine.
I came back after an hour later, then the screen was gone. Not completely black, though. Top corners show some light. Battery life is displayed with purple / unusual color. Photo attached.
Mi-9-Lite-_-Dropped-Display.jpg
Incoming calls received. Touch screen probably not working.
The displayed area is becoming smaller with time. Couple of minutes ago I saw the whole wi-fi icon, but now it is hardly visible.

What happened?
How can it be fixed?
How can I back-up data into my PC?

Thank you very much!

My Mi 9 Lite fell off display down. Just from 3 feet, but the impact sound was nasty.
There was a tempered glass and a silicon back cover which had a bit high edges. But the cement floor was not perfectly flat. The tempered glass already had cracks from a previous fall months ago. No new cracks observed.
I picked up the phone and pressed the power button. Unlock screen appeared as usual. Did not unlock as it was very dark. Did not try to unlock it and I thought it is fine.
I came back after an hour later, then the screen was gone. Not completely black, though. Top corners show some light. Battery life is displayed with purple / unusual color. Photo attached.
View attachment 155665
The displayed area is becoming smaller with time. Couple of minutes ago I saw the whole wi-fi icon, but now it is hardly visible.

What happened?
How can it be fixed?

Thank you very much!
no idea on data part as i do not have your device. does Mi have their own data backup and restore tool? i know that LG and Samsung does.

but it sounds like this is a hardware issue and it might be time for either a new phone or get the display fixed some how.

Reactions: Gadash and mikedt
Upvote 0
View attachment 155665

What happened?
How can it be fixed?

Thank you very much!

Looks very much like the screen is broken. A Xiaomi repair tech should be able to replace it, won't be cheap though. To backup your data, the phone needs to be unlocked, and with a busted screen and inoperable, that's not going to happen until it's repaired.

Reactions: Gadash and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Xiaomi had a PC suit. But it is not updated since 2015 and new devices not supported. I heard they will introduce a new version, but probably not yet. Cloud sync was set to only contacts and some settings.
Any idea which phones has the same display used in Mi 9 Lite?
Mi 9T, Mi 9 !? Or any samsung phone with same display?
As it is easy to find a display that way as Mi 9 Lite is pretty uncommon here!
Thanks

Upvote 0
I have a Mi 10 Lite and a Poco F2 Pro both on MIUI 12. I've only started using one in recent weeks.

The default Mi Cloud backup settings are the first few on this screenshot which I just turned off on one yesterday. If you have your phone Mi account number it may help with a new Xiaomi phone.
Of course your Google account will also help.

IMG_20201227_161233.jpg Screenshot_2020-12-27-00-08-05-092_com.miui.cloudservice.jpg Screenshot_2020-12-27-16-03-24-345_com.miui.cloudservice.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
just looked at https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Xiaomi_Mi_9 and they only have the MI 9 and not the lite....not sure if the screens are compatible or not.....most likely not.

Same one!

OP if like me you don't want to try, or more likely cannot source one (though it's a Samsung 6.39" FHD Amoled) - I would try Mi.com Support / Chat and request a repair price including shipping. I sent a phone to Nokia in another country under warranty (very quick) and one to Motorola (OK never got that one back); but Mi support seemed very eager to help on my account number issues.

Best bet, apart from buying another brand you like, is try Mi.com every few days for staggering price drops on a whole load of models going back to the 2019 Redmi 8 Pro (cheapest) to currently a £159 price in the UK with a possible extra £10 voucher on the new Poco X3 NFC. Though I also go for an Amoled screen if I can.

2020-12-27 (1)_LI.jpg

Upvote 0
Can someone tell me how to turn off the phone?
When I try, it always reboots. Online tutorials there to go to fast boot, but there some say to press vol up, other say to press vol down. But most of them written to do with a broken touch screen, not for black screen where logos can not be seen.
Mi 9 !?... Or any Samsung phone with same display? (Probably has to replace the display, but parts for Mi 9 Lite is uncommon in this area)

Upvote 0
Can someone tell me how to turn off the phone?
When I try, it always reboots. Online tutorials there to go to fast boot, but there some say to press vol up, other say to press vol down. But most of them written to do with a broken touch screen, not for black screen where logos can not be seen.
Mi 9 !?... Or any Samsung phone with same display? (Probably has to replace the display, but parts for Mi 9 Lite is uncommon in this area)

Sorry I missed this. Any news?
On my two models, with the screen working a long press on the power button brings up a first power screen with 4 choices. Press power off and you have to confirm on the next screen where the button is dead centre.
(Touch / digitiser probably doesn't work for you though).
I haven't figured how to fully get to Recovery Mode yet from Power Off.

As yours was not water damaged or shown any new cracking, perhaps a quick inspection by a local trustworthy repair shop might reveal a loose connection, but I don't about such things.

Screenshot_2020-12-31-01-00-35-197_com.miui.home.jpg
IMG_20201231_010052.jpg IMG_20201231_013053.jpg

Upvote 0
As yours was not water damaged or shown any new cracking, perhaps a quick inspection by a local trustworthy repair shop might reveal a loose connection, but I don't about such things.
Could not restart. Battery will be dead soon, if not already :)

I carefully inspected and now I see couple of cracks in a corner when looked from an angle.

Searched in the market and they have low quality TFT displays, and OLED duplicate screens (fingerprint supported).
Original screen has to be imported I think and it is quite expensive as supposed.
No idea how to verify the originality!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones