• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

MIDI Help?

Jimmy Recard

Lurker
Aug 21, 2021
Hello

I need to find some free software or apps that I can use to test a Midi Controller Keyboard - a Novation Launchkey 61 MK3.

I want to buy it second hand but the seller only has a a smartphone to test it on and I only have a Chromebook (Asus C523) (desktop and laptops are not an option).

All I need to be able to do is test All/Most the different TYPES of buttons.... to make sure it works ok
eg. The Keyboard keys themselves, Faders, Q-Link Knobs, Drum Pads, Transport Buttons, 2x Mod Wheels, etc etc

I don't need to record a song or anything - just be able to hear/see all these different kind of buttons working on screen and hear them too.

I have a Novation Launchkey 61 MK2 here with me - I've only just bought it but never used it, or midi on a daw etc so I have no experience with it all.
I've seen it on videos etc but they were all setup etc.

I want to buy the newer version MK3, but since I have the older MK2 here - I can use that at home to test and get this working on the chromebook before I go meet this guy and test the mk3 he is selling.

I've tried a bunch of free apps on Chromebook via Play Store - but I can't get Faders, Q-Link knobs working, I think I got pads working on one?

But there are other buttons too I haven't mentioned but the above are the big ones.

Could someone please record a super quick video showing me how to test these things on a Chromebook ideally as that's the only one that I have that will work?
Or failing that - give good instructions?

It could be a Synth app only or a DAW or something else?

Even if I can only test half the buttons on one and the rest on the other that would be fine?

I really hope someone can perform a miracle and help me out.

Thank you for your help

So that MIDI controller keyboard is designed to be used with Ableton Live, which is a professional music production software?
https://novationmusic.com/en/keys/launchkey

I'm pretty sure there isn't be a mobile app that can do all you require. However there's this Android app, https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.extreamsd.usbmidimonitor
Which basically logs and shows the MIDI data sent from a connected USB MIDI controller. And so it should show if all the keys are working, and other things are sending valid MIDI data. But you won't hear anything. The Android smart-phone must support USB-OTG to connect the MIDI controller and use this app. Of course I don't know if it would would work with a Chromebook or not.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have a Novation Launchkey 61 MK2 here with me - I've only just bought it but never used it, or midi on a daw etc so I have no experience with it all.
I've seen it on videos etc but they were all setup etc.

I want to buy the newer version MK3, but since I have the older MK2 here - I can use that at home to test and get this working on the chromebook before I go meet this guy and test the mk3 he is selling.

Reading through your post again, and I do know some things about MIDI. If you don't have any sort of DAW, e.g. Ableton Live, Cubase, Pro Tools, Logic Pro, GarageBand, etc. I don't think you can really use either of those Novation Lauchkey MIDI controllers.

I've tried a bunch of free apps on Chromebook via Play Store - but I can't get Faders, Q-Link knobs working, I think I got pads working on one?

But there are other buttons too I haven't mentioned but the above are the big ones.

Could someone please record a super quick video showing me how to test these things on a Chromebook ideally as that's the only one that I have that will work?
Or failing that - give good instructions?

A Chromebook is really just an internet browser, that can run some Android mobile apps.

It could be a Synth app only or a DAW or something else?

There's a few musical instrument type apps for Android, like piano simulators, that can work with a MIDI keyboard, for tapping out simple tunes on. But these are really just novelties IMO.

Even if I can only test half the buttons on one and the rest on the other that would be fine?

I really hope someone can perform a miracle and help me out

Thank you for your help

There are DAWs available for GNU/Linux OSs. If you can install a full-blown GNU/Linux OS on your Chromebook, e.g. Kubuntu. But I've had no experience of doing this at all, as I don't have a Chromebook.

My only experiences is using MIDI keyboard controllers with Macs and included GarageBand DAW.

Last edited:
Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones