• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Migrating to New Phone

lexluthor

Android Expert
May 15, 2010
Not sure I'm in the right forum for this, but it's not really a phone specific question.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S 4G that's rooted. I'm replacing that with an HTC One S, that I don't plan on rooting.

The Galaxy S 4G is backed up weekly using Titanium backup, so I have all user applications and user appdata backed up to the SD Card.

If I sign on to the One S with the same google account, will all of my apps be installed on the One S automatically or do I have to reinstall one at a time from the play store?

Is there any way at all to get my appdata to the new phone without root or do I just have to accept that I'm going to lose any saved program data?

I know I can copy the files from the SD card to the new phone, but that's only going to get some of that data back. That won't get any data saved in the system partition.

What's the best way to go about this (without root on the new phone). Yes, I know I can root the new phone. It's not a phone I'll be using, personally, and I think I'd just rather not fiddle around with it.

Yea when you get your new phone and sign into your account the apps will automatically get move to the other phone. If you have any problems call up your Carrier.
The only problem is not all the settings and stuff will move over. For instance your progress in Angry Birds wont go to the new phone and neither will your scores and such.

By the way when you un-install an app that you pay for you can reinstall it for free. There are some apps that were free on your origanl phone that won't be free on your new phone like SkyFire browser.

Upvote 0
So no new apps that I might not know about that might be able to migrate over application data without root?

It's not that big of a deal. It's easy to get all of the apps reinstalled. I can backup go launcher and k9 settings, which are the 2 apps that require the most setup.

Any apps that store saved progress on the SD card will be fine.

The rest, I'll just lose settings/data. Not that big of a deal.

I have the option to root the new phone if I really need to keep that stuff. I think I'm going to just leave the phone fully stock though.

Upvote 0
So what exactly will MyBackup Pro
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rerware.android.MyBackupPro
be able to backup and restore, without root?
I'm using My Backup Pro without root. It works for all rooted data too, if you're rooted. I'm not rooted. I Love the program. Here is what I can restore: (had to do one screen twice to get it all on)...

Apps/Photos
---------------

20120429065813.png

Data
------

20120429065733.png

20120429065717.png

Not games scores and such. But I don't care, I don't game. :ciao:

-Frank

Reactions: Colchicine
Upvote 0
OP, in order for something like MyBackup Pro to function as designed, the developer of the apps you want backed up need to write their apps in such a way that the app(s) in question gives MyBackup permission to access the data in question. This limitation is a security feature imposed by Android, and why just about all backup apps perform better with root access.

Upvote 0
Oh, I understand the whole root thing and how it's needed to backup apps and appdata.

The question is then, what is mybackup pro backing up and what does it restore when you do an app backup/restore. Looks like it's backing up the .apk files? Can it even restore those without root? If not, what is it doing at all?

Upvote 0
On the new phone, do I check off backup data and automatic restore initially? I wouldn't want it to make up what's on the new phone (nothing) to my account and have it overwrite the data in my google account from the old phone (all my apps). I can't imagine it works that way, but just checking.

So what is the process to ensure that my apps just start installing OTA once I sign on with the new phone?

The only phone definitely has backup data and automatic restore checked off in the privacy settings.

Upvote 0
For some reason, my apps didn't autoload on the new phone.

But, mybackup pro was great.

Without root, it can back up .apks, but can't restore them. So what it does, it is queues them all up for sideload install. So, the app pops up, I click install, next one comes up, click install, etc. Took only a few minutes to get everything (including apps previously installed via amazon appstore or sideload) back on to the phone.

Surprised know one know how mybackup pro did an .apk restore without root.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones