• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Missing Android app

While you're there, you should probably install the 4.1 recovery. Then you can do the rest at home if you want.

The easiest way to do it is:

- Download the 4.1 recovery package from hdblog.it
- Download galaxo from hdblog.it
- Plug the phone into the PC, and in the notifications tab click USB and mount
- You should now be able to open one of the storage devices that appears in my computer. Copy the update.zip and the rectools.tar.gz (from the recovery zip) into that drive (its your internal sd card)

Now you need to flash the latest recovery. I've uploaded the tools directory of the sdk to make it easier. The latest recovery.img is in there too.

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

- Extract the file. Find the one driver that didnt install, and point it to the USB Drivers directory in that zip
- Open a cmd prompt and cd into the tools directory.
- Put your phone into fastboot (power down, then press Call button + Power button). Windows might ask for a driver. Point it to the usb drivers directory or here:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AE1SEO0G

- Type fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

It will flash the recovery partition to your phone :)

Now pull the battery and boot into recovery:

Volume down + call + power

Take a nandroid backup - in case u ever want to restore

- Backup g.apps (if it takes less than a second, you'll need to reboot and do it again, its a bug), This should take 4 or 5 seconds.
- Wipe device
- Apply update.zip from sdcard
- Restore G.apps
- Reboot and wait about 5 mins for it to boot (slow first boot while it installs)

All done!

This is the easiest way to do it, and avoids all the driver problems people have. Follow each step one by one and you'll be fine.

Upvote 0
ok.. i downloaded the two links you provided.. im on hdblog... i think im on the right pages; samsung galaxy roms: galaxo & galaxhero v1 final version, andupdate 14/10 - v4.1 root/recovery image... but how on earth do i find the files to download? also which version where you recommending galaxo or galxhero? i think id like to try them both..but which do you recommend? and one more thing... on the hdblog.it homepage..that little box which comes aross the top with some adds or updates whatever it is shows a link to a video of the galaxhero in english... anyways i watched the video and i noticed something..in the screen that he slides to the left of the homescreen there he has a facebook widget.. is that exclusive to galaxhero? or can it be had on galaxo? and can you have that widget on the standard fw that i just updated to? thanks

Upvote 0
Yeah you're on the right pages. You need to register, and then there's a text file right at the bottom of each post. In there is the link.

I'm not sure about the facebook widget, but i don't have it in galaxohero. It must be some add on app. I would recommend you use GalaxoHero. You can easily change around once you have the recovery image on your phone.

Upvote 0
ok.. got the files... i cant see the update.zip file in the recovery folder... there is rectools.img, rectools.img.md5,rectools.tar,rectools.tar.gz.md5.....
which one of these files exactly is it? and where is the update file? in the rom galahero rom folder there is the update.zip and the update.zip.md5...
is it one of those?

Upvote 0
ok.. got the files... i cant see the update.zip file in the recovery folder... there is rectools.img, rectools.img.md5,rectools.tar,rectools.tar.gz.md5.....
which one of these files exactly is it? and where is the update file? in the rom galahero rom folder there is the update.zip and the update.zip.md5...
is it one of those?

update.zip is in the galaxo/galaxhero rom download

Upvote 0
You need to copy rectools.tar.gz from the V4.1 recovery image zip file AND the update.zip from te galaxoHero zip file - onto the internal SD card by mounting it as i explained above.

You don't need to use recovery.img, its already in the megaupload sdk tools i uploaded.

The .md5 files are just to checksum the main files - ignore them.

Upvote 0
ok.. i copied the files..but now what i dont know how to do the next step of flashing the rcovery.. in fact i dont know how to do any of the next steps

Now you need to flash the latest recovery. I've uploaded the tools directory of the sdk to make it easier. The latest recovery.img is in there too.

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

^^^ Click that link, download the file and extract it on your PC. You'll get 2 directories, Tools and USB Driver

- Extract the file. Find the one driver that didnt install, and point it to the USB Drivers directory in that zip
^^^ In Device manager there will be one driver that didnt install properly (Remember form when u enabled usb debugging? There was one?) Go to properties, update driver, and point it to the USB Driver directory above

- Open a cmd prompt and cd into the tools directory.
^^^ If you don't know what a command prompt is you might just want to stop now - now offense :p -
Start -> run -> type cmd (or command if its an old os)
or in vista start -> type cmd in the search box

cd to the directory 'tools' from my zip above.

- Put your phone into fastboot (power down, then press Call button + Power button)
Windows might ask for a driver. Point it to the usb drivers directory or here:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AE1SEO0G

^^ again download this file and extract it. Once in fastboot windows might ask for a driver. Point it to the directory you extracted from the above file.

- Type fastboot recovery recovery.img
^^^ Type this in the cmd window once in the tools directory

It will flash the recovery partition to your phone :)

Now pull the battery and boot into recovery:

Volume down + call + power
^^ You'll see a green recovery screen.

Take a nandroid backup - in case u ever want to restore
^^ its an option on the menu, use the up/down keys and OK to select it

- Backup g.apps (if it takes less than a second, you'll need to reboot and do it again, its a bug), This should take 4 or 5 seconds.
- Wipe device
- Apply update.zip from sdcard
- Restore G.apps
- Reboot and wait about 5 mins for it to boot (slow first boot while it installs)
^^ All of these are options on the menu

All done!

This is the easiest way to do it, and avoids all the driver problems people have. Follow each step one by one and you'll be fine.

Upvote 0
ok... ive followed up to type fastboot recovery recovey.img into cmd.. done that... it just brought up screen with some command guide or something in cmd... is that right.. pulled battery.. trying to boot into recovery as you describe.. no green screen tho.. black screen, says recovery mode.... at the top in small writing.. then says samsung galaxy with the loading icon... then shows black screen with an icon of an exclametion mark in a triangle besid a picture of a handset??? what do i do?

Upvote 0
Sorry it was

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

It will say <waiting for device>

Make sure you then boot into fastboot on your phone, and install the driver if you need to. It will exit fastboot after 15 seconds so you need to be quick!

EDIT: I edited the original post to corect it. So no you didnt read it wrong the first time, it was my fault :)

Upvote 0
ok.. it does just sit there saying waiting for device... is fastboot mode the one that says downloading and has like that icon with a down arrow on it? thats the one i put get it to... i cheked device manager... there is no unknown devices...it says samsung usb composite device.. samsung mdem or something like that... do i have to look individually in all the tabs? or will it just say as usual yellow exclamation with unknown device standing out from the rest?

Upvote 0
On old firmware it stays there. On new firmware it reboots after 15 seconds.

Forget everything previously please just do this:

- run fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- It will says something like <waiting for device>
- Boot into fastboot, the phone should say something like xxx bytes written and the command in the cmd window should say it flashed and exit.

Now remove the battery to exit fastboot, and reboot into recovery, and then do the g.apps backup, wipe, gapps restore and reboot.

Upvote 0
ok cool :)

with the green screen?

do a nadroid backup to save your current rom state.
Then do a wipe, then G.apps backup (make sure it takes more than 2 or 3 seconds). If not reboot into recovery and do the backup again.

Then apply sdcard:update
then restore g.apps
and finally reboot

It may take 5 or 10 mins to boot.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones