1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

modding ROMs

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by gamer30168, Apr 24, 2012.

1. gamer30168

gamer30168 Android Enthusiast

Ive wondered if its possible to modify an existing ROM zip without tripping up the file signature and i recently got my balls up and started with something simple. I dropped ringtones and notification tones into PG's Black Plague.....I held my breath and gave it a shot...it worked....next im thinking about adding apps i would like to have installed when the ROM is installed. Anyone know if that will cause any problems?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ShinySide

ShinySide Extreme Android User

No it wont. I do it all the time. Just put them in the system>app folder. Some wont install/ work tho. I know some keyboards wont. Or you can make a flashable zip that directs all the apps to data>apps folder.

gamer30168 likes this.
  3. gamer30168

My rom is finishing up with the install as i type. I only added one app to the system app folder. I exchanged ROM toolbox with ROM toolbox pro. all the rest i added to the data apps folder. Ill soon find out what works and what doesnt

4. Fuzzy13

Fuzzy13 Extreme Android User

I've found that you cant swap out xml's and what not. Those have to be broken down properly and signed again if changes are made to them.

But png's? Shhhiiiittttt. All day son. ;)

gamer30168 and ShinySide like this.
  5. ShinySide

ShinySide Extreme Android User

Yea dont swap xml's Itll just make you mad :D Ahaha

6. Fuzzy13

Mad isn't the word........lol

7. gamer30168

is it possible to swap out an xml or at least modify it so long as any other copy of that xml somewhere else on the system agrees with it?

8. Fuzzy13

When you modify an xml the apk has to be resigned with that NEW xml inside it. If not you will get an error.

You have to de-compile and compile the akp properly in order to edit xml files. No ways around it.

9. LDrifta

LDrifta No Stranger 2 Danger

keyboards usually have a required lib file needed for it to work.

the only downfall of doin what is mentioned above is that apps in system/app cannot be un-installed unless you get titanium backup or something

ShinySide likes this.
  10. Dr0idWhisperer

Dr0idWhisperer Android Enthusiast

Im working on a theme right now and i was wondering how does one make a flashable zip? Do you just build the file structures in eclipse and then use android tools>export signed or unsigned apk? Because i have a zip for framework and systemui but i also want to add res_cap and sui files to be flashed as well...or would it work just adding those files to the zip?

11. PlayfulGod

PlayfulGod Extreme Android User

long as your current zip isnt signed or you know how to resign it, you can just add em to system/framework. Your current updater-script should already cover installing system and setting perms on framework. ;)

You can also just delete the 2 cert files and the manifest in META and it wont be signed anymore. ;)

Dr0idWhisperer likes this.
  12. Dr0idWhisperer

Dr0idWhisperer Android Enthusiast

Thanks so much! Id been really curious about this so thanks for the answer! PS: Looking forward to that black plauge update! Keep the great work!

13. LDrifta

LDrifta No Stranger 2 Danger

it is possible to swap xml's, but be careful some are used by others so you may not get the desired effect :/ but for example you want the stock statusbar layout for clock & date, you can easily swap the 'statusbar.xml' from the systemui.apk with the xml file from a stock version of the rom with 7zip and that will work safely

but do now switch compiled with decompiled lol

LG Esteem Forum

The LG Esteem release date was October 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 5MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

October 2011
Release Date
Reviews