• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root modding ROMs

gamer30168

Android Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2012
Atlanta
Ive wondered if its possible to modify an existing ROM zip without tripping up the file signature and i recently got my balls up and started with something simple. I dropped ringtones and notification tones into PG's Black Plague.....I held my breath and gave it a shot...it worked....next im thinking about adding apps i would like to have installed when the ROM is installed. Anyone know if that will cause any problems?

is it possible to swap out an xml or at least modify it so long as any other copy of that xml somewhere else on the system agrees with it?

When you modify an xml the apk has to be resigned with that NEW xml inside it. If not you will get an error.

You have to de-compile and compile the akp properly in order to edit xml files. No ways around it.

Upvote 0
No it wont. I do it all the time. Just put them in the system>app folder. Some wont install/ work tho. I know some keyboards wont. Or you can make a flashable zip that directs all the apps to data>apps folder.
keyboards usually have a required lib file needed for it to work.

the only downfall of doin what is mentioned above is that apps in system/app cannot be un-installed unless you get titanium backup or something

Reactions: ShinySide
Upvote 0
Im working on a theme right now and i was wondering how does one make a flashable zip? Do you just build the file structures in eclipse and then use android tools>export signed or unsigned apk? Because i have a zip for framework and systemui but i also want to add res_cap and sui files to be flashed as well...or would it work just adding those files to the zip?

Upvote 0
Im working on a theme right now and i was wondering how does one make a flashable zip? Do you just build the file structures in eclipse and then use android tools>export signed or unsigned apk? Because i have a zip for framework and systemui but i also want to add res_cap and sui files to be flashed as well...or would it work just adding those files to the zip?
long as your current zip isnt signed or you know how to resign it, you can just add em to system/framework. Your current updater-script should already cover installing system and setting perms on framework. ;)

You can also just delete the 2 cert files and the manifest in META and it wont be signed anymore. ;)

Reactions: Dr0idWhisperer
Upvote 0
long as your current zip isnt signed or you know how to resign it, you can just add em to system/framework. Your current updater-script should already cover installing system and setting perms on framework. ;)

You can also just delete the 2 cert files and the manifest in META and it wont be signed anymore. ;)

Thanks so much! Id been really curious about this so thanks for the answer! PS: Looking forward to that black plauge update! Keep the great work!

Upvote 0
is it possible to swap out an xml or at least modify it so long as any other copy of that xml somewhere else on the system agrees with it?
it is possible to swap xml's, but be careful some are used by others so you may not get the desired effect :/ but for example you want the stock statusbar layout for clock & date, you can easily swap the 'statusbar.xml' from the systemui.apk with the xml file from a stock version of the rom with 7zip and that will work safely

but do now switch compiled with decompiled lol

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones