• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Moment Update A Breath Of Fresh Air

I went in on Friday morning to the Sprint store and got the update for my Moment. I must say it fixed my key complaints. When I got back to my office (where I never got GPS reading before) it showed me on Google maps right where I was -Yeah! The lag in keystroke to letters appearing appears to be almost entirely gone. And Battery Life is really improved - to a crazy point (in a good way). I pulled it off the charger this morning, checked some scores today and then pretty much spent all evening downloading apps / playing games, etc and I was shocked when I got done - Still had about 70% battery life. Good job Sprint. I would have liked to have had this w/o going into the store, but it only took about 15 minutes and I have store close by, so no biggie.

Lucky you. I'm very happy to hear about such an improvement on the phone. My local store was less than able to upgrade my 3 phones. They even called other stores in the area and wasn't able to update any of our phones. And worse yet. They felt confident that they would only succeed in erasing the phones memory, contacts, and other settings. :-(

Maybe I'll just wait until I can do it myself.

Upvote 0
They felt confident that they would only succeed in erasing the phones memory, contacts, and other settings. :-(

Maybe I'll just wait until I can do it myself.

That is correct. The official sprint update wipes the device. But... since you sync to a gmail account (you do that right?) your contacts and calender sync back as soon as you re-enter you gmail account info into the phone. Note... it does NOT wipe the SD card. Only the internal phone memory.

I feel pretty confident that the OTA update method will prompt users that it does a factory reset and make them confirm that they actually want to update.

Basically, you have three choices...

1) Continue using the original firmware.

2) Update to the official Sprint firmware, wipe the device, get a lot of things fixed, and continue to get official support directly from Sprint.

3) Update to the un-official firmware, don't wipe the device, get a lot of things fixed, and get support from the community instead of Sprint.

I chose option 2, and I'm quite happy with the update. I still need to try bluetooth and play with pandora a little more, but so far, so good!

-SF

Upvote 0
You already can. Just use the stuff that's out on the SDX Developers site.

Yeah, good tip! I used Odin 3.98 to flash SPH-M900_CL14_WORKING_SYSTEM_ONLY and then SPH-M900_CL14_CDMA-ONLY and I'm happy. The hardest part was figuring out why my Windows 7 wasn't recognizing the SPH-M900 when it was in Download mode. I had to manually install the USB driver. (Win 7 wouldn't auto-discover it for me.) I wasn't sure on how to upload the CDMA settings since it wasn't mentioned, but I took a guess and the steps are the same as in flashing the system. Total time was about 11 minutes to flash both files, and several hours to get stupid Windows to work for me. I have 2 more Moments in the family. I'll play with this one a bit longer before I try to score a 300%.

+ I'm loving it. The performance is much smoother - it's what I expected from 800 Mhz when I opened the box.
+ Keyboard does respond better.
+ Seems to connect to the radio's quicker too.
+ Google Maps found me inside my house, which is not in India like it used to think!
+ Didn't lose my settings, wallpaper, email, dl'ed apps, contacts, messages, etc. (I didn't expect that. Thanks Zefie!)

- I'm not a big fan of the new black on white calendar setting though I'm cool with it in the email app.

~ Listening to Pandora now - Not much has changed here. I understand that the audio bug wasn't fixed, but the rest of the optimizations seem to have helped in reducing how often I ran into this bug. There's some minor skipping at the start of some tracks. Tracks now play to completion. And rotating the screen or switching apps still makes it stutter worse than Porky Pig. Overall it's tolerable to the point where I might start using Pandora on the Moment.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones