• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help More disc space

Manny070

Lurker
Jan 15, 2014
Hi everyone. I just installed a 120gb hard drive in my Viewsonic 10 vpad. I am running Windows 7 and Android 4.0. Everything is fine on the Windows side with 110gb showing out of 120gb. but on the Android side I only see that there is only 510mg of space for it. I don't know how to allocate more disc space on the android side. The disc has not been partitioned. I don't know if hat will help. Thanks

Run GParted (you have to burn it to a CD and boot the computer with it) and see what the drive looks like. I'm willing to bet that there's a 510MB partition that Android is using.

110 GB (which is how Windows rates drives) is pretty close to 120gB (which is how drives are rated). (Note the difference between gB and GB - 1gB is 1 billion bytes, 1GB is 1,073,741,824 bytes [1024*1024*1024].) The difference between 120gB and 118.11160064gB (110GB) is about enough for the slop (there's a bit of space wasted) and the 510MB partition.

How do you "fix" it? Partition the drive the way YOU want it, not the way Android defaults it. (It's impossible to install 2 operating systems to the same partition without playing tricks [and I'm not talking about VMs].)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones