• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Moto E(4) Plus "owens" - All Things Root Guide

The way I responded should've been overlooked.

I gave valuable insight and I'm sure I saved someone, somewhere some heartache and pain.

You can actually still download apps to your phone by using your PC.

Just open CMD and type adb install ( filename.apk)

This is how I was able to transfer a browser to my phone. However, I couldn't install the browser as long as omniswitch was activated.

I deactivated omniswitch and I was able to install any app I wanted.

Upvote 0
The way I responded should've been overlooked.

On the contrary. The way you respond can set the tone for everyone else and soon the thread digresses into a playground brawl. You have to admit that those last two sentences hardly upheld the Android Forum policy of treating others with courtesy and respect.

I would think that for someone spending their time to improve this (or any) ROM for free and sharing it with the rest of us should get gratitude rather than snark.

Upvote 0
On the contrary. The way you respond can set the tone for everyone else and soon the thread digresses into a playground brawl. You have to admit that those last two sentences hardly upheld the Android Forum policy of treating others with courtesy and respect.

I would think that for someone spending their time to improve this (or any) ROM for free and sharing it with the rest of us should get gratitude rather than snark.

--> Thank you so much <--
I don't know what ppl expect.. cuz I'm trying a lot and still feel like a noob. I've been an electrician for 20+yrs, not in any programming/coding school (like most high-end software developers). I'm slowly picking this up as I go. Heck, I started out just theming. It's like the more I learn, the more I realize I don't know chit.. Barely anything at all, Lol

Last edited:
Upvote 0
--> Thank you so much <--
I don't know what ppl expect.. cuz I'm trying a lot and still feel like a noob. I've been an electrician for 20+yrs, not in any programming/coding school (like most high-end software developers). I'm slowly picking this up as I go. Heck, I started out just theming. It's like the more I learn, the more I realize I don't know chit.. Barely anything at all, Lol
I hear you, I've been a heavy equipment operator for 20 yrs, no programming or coding experience either. I just got interested in Android, wanted to build my own ROMs, and learned what I needed as I went. I still have a lot to learn. I do this as a hobby. Sometimes a stress reliever to take my mind off things. Unfortunately, for some reason certain people feel the need to add to that stress and take away the enjoyment. It's nice when people want to test and help fix things, but a bad demeanor can take away any value that help might hold. Like I said before, don't let it get to you and take away the enjoyment like I did. Ignore it and do what your doing.

Upvote 0
OP updated with OctOS & CandyROM
Damn bro, take a break. LOL. At least someone else with this phone has some initiative to do something with it. I'll be back in business on Monday or Tuesday. Good stuff man keep it up.
Edit: Thanks!
Edit-2 Boost just launched the Moto G6 Play. Damn near same specs as Owens with Oreo. and from what I hear we won't get a Plus model in the US so no point waiting for that, along with the fact that the specs aren't so close. If I can get my hands on one of those, and get them to release the kernel source like I've been successful at numerous times, the oreo blobs would be very useful.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180517-234516.png
    Screenshot_20180517-234516.png
    238.4 KB · Views: 338
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: bcrichster
Upvote 0
Damn bro, take a break. LOL. At least someone else with this phone has some initiative to do something with it. I'll be back in business on Monday or Tuesday. Good stuff man keep it up.
Edit: Thanks!
Edit-2 Boost just launched the Moto G6 Play. Damn near same specs as Owens with Oreo. and from what I hear we won't get a Plus model in the US so no point waiting for that, along with the fact that the specs aren't so close. If I can get my hands on one of those, and get them to release the kernel source like I've been successful at numerous times, the oreo blobs would be very useful.

Sweet! Nice find. And yeah, I'm actually gonna take a bit of a break.. Need to focus on some other stuff a minute, looking forward to seeing some of your progress too (you got this, Lol). I'd love to see them Moto Actions working

Last edited:
Reactions: Member1660584
Upvote 0
Question I just bought the E4 Plus from Best Buy that was in the unlock Section and I would like to just root this device since it never came with all the carrier bloat I don't see the factor into installing another rom. So will this be easier to root then?
There is no easier or harder for these devices. If they're unlockable, they can be rooted. If they aren't unlockable, they can't be rooted.

Upvote 0
Question I just bought the E4 Plus from Best Buy that was in the unlock Section and I would like to just root this device since it never came with all the carrier bloat I don't see the factor into installing another rom. So will this be easier to root then?

Who's the Carrier branded on the Best Buy device ya bought? Yes, there's lots of bloat I now call Spyware in them because they are embedded with Facebook crap. See 'Cambridge Analytical Scandal'.. You may not have much experience with ROMs if you think that the stock setup isn't bloated. Running a Custom ROM can give many more System options to work with and the only apps we have in our ROMs are what's made with them &amp; what you decide to install..

Upvote 0
Who's the Carrier branded on the Best Buy device ya bought? Yes, there's lots of bloat I now call Spyware in them because they are embedded with Facebook crap. See 'Cambridge Analytical Scandal'.. You may not have much experience with ROMs if you think that the stock setup isn't bloated. Running a Custom ROM can give many more System options to work with and the only apps we have in our ROMs are what's made with them &amp; what you decide to install..
their was no carrier brand on phone it was unlocked in their unlocked section and said the phone can work with any carrier cdma/gsm that's why I bought it $150.00 and the battery size. their is not one bit of carrier software on it either. I was able to order a sprint sim from tello and pop it in since they have a pretty good deal $15.00 a month unlimited talk /text 1 gig of data. Now I just want to root it so I can install adaway and get rid of google play music /play movie is really the only bloat and a few Moto things other than that it's pretty clean

Upvote 0
their was no carrier brand on phone it was unlocked in their unlocked section and said the phone can work with any carrier cdma/gsm that's why I bought it $150.00 and the battery size. their is not one bit of carrier software on it either. I was able to order a sprint sim from tello and pop it in since they have a pretty good deal $15.00 a month unlimited talk /text 1 gig of data. Now I just want to root it so I can install adaway and get rid of google play music /play movie is really the only bloat and a few Moto things other than that it's pretty clean

Yeah! Um.. Did'ja know that Boost Mobile is selling these devices for less than $70? ..our custom ROMs will also allow ya to use any Carrier in US if ya have the appropriate Sim (FYI). You can flash a ROM on one from a carrier and slap another Sim in it and it'll actually work just fine

Reactions: Some Guy Here
Upvote 0
Yeah! Um.. Did'ja know that Boost Mobile is selling these devices for less than $70? ..our custom ROMs will also allow ya to use any Carrier in US if ya have the appropriate Sim (FYI). You can flash a ROM on one from a carrier and slap another Sim in it and it'll actually work just fine
I thought ounce you flash a custom rom you lose the ability to update the PRL and profile and you loose the phone key pad commands *#785## ect ... and I heard like the verizon branded ones can't be unlocked, I was hopefully looking for less of a headache, so I just bought a pre unlocked one, I should have done more research I just want root and still have the stock rom hoping it would be easier to do. I flashed my S4 and Nexus7 to LineageOS but I'm no pro

Upvote 0
I thought ounce you flash a custom rom you lose the ability to update the pr profile and you loose the phone key pad commands *#785## ect ... and I heard like the verizon branded ones can't be unlocked, I was hopefully looking for less of a headache, so I just bought a pre unlocked one, I should have done more research I just want root and still have the stock rom hoping it would be easier to do. I flashed my S4 and Nexus7 to LineageOS but I'm no pro
SeanStar who did a lot of the work to get data/LTE working for all carriers did what most devs normally don't and made it so you can update the prl and profile with any of these custom roms. The settings are just in a different place under cellular settings.
Edit: this is running my AEX build.
Edit-2: the dialpad commands work also.
Screenshot_20180610-135155.pngScreenshot_20180610-135141.png

Upvote 0
ok great ! I did the unlock boot loader from the guild I thing I did it right but when I start the device the first think I get is black screen and at the top left it says bad key, then it starts to boot into the moto screen then ask me for my pin to start android? I put it in is starts and completes, when I go into developer options unlock the bootloader is greyed out and says the boot loader is already unlocked is they a way to verify that? worried about the bad key thing?

Upvote 0
ok great ! I did the unlock boot loader from the guild I thing I did it right but when I start the device the first think I get is black screen and at the top left it says bad key, then it starts to boot into the moto screen then ask me for my pin to start android? I put it in is starts and completes, when I go into developer options unlock the bootloader is greyed out and says the boot loader is already unlocked is they a way to verify that? worried about the bad key thing?

Yeah.. the 'bad key' thing is normal when ya unlock the bootloader, no worries. It'll switch to/ say N/A if/when ya install TWRP recovery, no sweat.

Reactions: Some Guy Here
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones