• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Moto X 2nd Gen. Charger cord falls out of port

Hey,

I purchased a MotoX 2nd gen. Personalized straight through Motorola (verizon compatible) and purchased their protection package for a $136 USD. Never Ever Do that. They will fix it, but I have 2 options that I wasn't aware of from the beginning.

Option 1: Send phone back, and maybe get it back in 12 days or more...
Option 2: They send you a replacement, then you Give them a CC and they place a $500 hold on it, and after they receive the old one back within "5 Days", then they might take the hold off... BS

While purchasing this protection package none of this is mentioned! Not even in their FAQ's. Called support and told them to WAIVE the damn hold! No Luck
------------------------

Ok, so my option is buy a New SmartAss Verizon phone FROM Verizon, then send in the broken phone and keep it as a spare.

My Problem, and I googled it, and saw many results. You plug in the charger cord, and it falls out of the phones charging port. Some say the little board in the port reseeds inward, thus not fitting all the way into the charging cord. The case is not interfering. Is there a DIY way of fixing this problem???

Sorry to hear about your problem. I will say, though, that putting a credit hold for a cross ship until they receive it back honestly seems fair to me.

Why do you say they "might take the hold off"? Did they actually tell you that?

I'm sorry to say that I don't have a solution other than asking for a warranty replacement, which shouldn't require a credit hold like that. Did you already ask if this is covered under warranty?

Also, one other idea: did you pay for the phone with a credit card initially? Does the credit card you used have a purchase protection option?

Upvote 0
Sorry to hear about your problem. I will say, though, that putting a credit hold for a cross ship until they receive it back honestly seems fair to me.
Verizon doesn't do that! They send you a replacement first, then if they don't get it back they charge your acct.

Why do you say they "might take the hold off"? Did they actually tell you that?
You have 5 days to get it back to them. That's not a lot of time... His words! I told them I have a 100% handicapped daughter and we're strapped, (long story) and I told him this option BS wasn't known till after 10 days of purchase. Had I known I wouldn't have purchased the phone through them, and spent $136 additional on the extended coverage for liquid or other damage. Main reason I used
Motorola was because I wanted the nexus 6 initially and they sent me one that wasn't Verizon compatible.
They even tried to blame Verizon and pull a new IMEI and MEID# out of a hat and said give these numbers to Verizon and the phone would link up! NOT -Took 30 days to get my credit refunded for that phone. Then
I ordered a MotoX 2nd gen.

I'm sorry to say that I don't have a solution other than asking for a warranty replacement, which shouldn't require a credit hold like that. Did you already ask if this is covered under warranty?
The warranty I paid for covers liquid or other damage, so either way it would be covered. Purchase date
was 02/2015, so either warranty would cover it.

Also, one other idea: did you pay for the phone with a credit card initially? Does the credit card you used have a purchase protection option?
I used Motorola Credit. For the $500 hold it has to be via CC. I don't use a landline, so I cannot be without a phone for 2 weeks!

Upvote 0
Have you tried another cable to be sure it's not the port? Sorry if I missed it, I looked and didn't see if you tried that.

You can make a safe depth gauge out of a plastic toothpick - the kind with the narrow blade end - but do NOT force it into the phone port. Let it drop along the edge to the bottom.

Note the depth with your thumbnail, compare to the length of the metal barrel on the cable.

I've seen this problem caused by bad dogs on the cable barrel not catching with the socket, the port was fine.

Upvote 0
I looked with a magnifying glass and it appears the piece in the phone has moved anywhere rom a 1/16" to 1/8"
inward. My mobile android charger has same problem. Falls out...
If it's moved that much then your only DIY options could turn dicey in a hurry, especially if the port is breaking free of the board inside. In such a case you're looking at parts replacement (check ifixit.com for details) - leaving you with the options you already know.

Reactions: rpalmer12
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones