• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Moto Z² Force Edition not getting Pie after all

This article gives the details, but here's the short version: Motorola, despite its previous declaration that we'd get Pie, has changed its mind.

Most Moto Z² Force Edition phones will not get the Android upgrade; only Verizon phones will.

That sucks. :(

(Even though I wasn't going to let mine upgrade automatically, if at all, I still want the choice. :oops:)

Reactions: ocnbrze
It could be a good thing too.

Pie doesn't automatically taste better than Oreo or Nougat.
It's all about how well the manufacturer implements it. Anyone can do a bad job of an update, but I have to say that the only thing I think was better about Oreo was that you could use Substratum without root.

The irritant here is that Moto used to be good with updates. But I have a clear impression that they've been going downhill in that respect.

(I'd be testing Q by now except that I've one mission-critical app that doesn't work with the beta).

Reactions: lvt
Upvote 0
What kind of issues are you having, @androidkt?

I cannot receive phone calls, Bluetooth is sketchy where it never was before, WiFi drops and reconnects repeatedly, the menu is super clunky and harder to use and then I have many small gripes regarding styling, etc. I honestly don't care much about the rounded vs blocked edges thing and the gestures don't work on this phone so that's not if interest but I used to be able to navigate and make changes in the menu seamlessly but can no longer do that. It just made my phone less useful. And it's most basic function to be a phone was broken. How could they let that happen?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones