• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Motorola Triumph - video encoding parameters

KryptoNyte

Android Enthusiast
Jun 21, 2011
Base on the combination CPU/GPU currently in the Triumph, these are the maximum encoding parameters that I've successfully used thus far (Mp4, h.264, I usually use Handbrake or some variant):

Max Resolution = 1280 horizontal x 720 vertical
Max framerate = 30 fps
Variable Frame Rate = Supported
8x8 transform = Supported
CABAC = Supported
Max B-Frames = 16
Max Reference Frames = 5
Weighted P-Frames = Supported
SubPixel ME & Mode decision = 10, QPRD in all frames
Trellis = used default, "encode only"

Audio AC3 = not supported
Audio AAC = Supported

Native Filetype MKV = not supported
Native Filetype MP4 = supported

You can find some players that will allow for MKV play, without hardware acceleration, but I always give up on the extremely poor quality of this solution.

This little device has some impressive CPU/GPU power with regard to video playing and I'm really surprised to see things like CABAC, Weighted P-frames, and B-frames with native hardware support on an Android device.

Reactions: rubejb
Base on the combination CPU/GPU currently in the Triumph, these are the maximum encoding parameters that I've successfully used thus far (Mp4, h.264, I usually use Handbrake or some variant):

Max Resolution = 1280 horizontal x 720 vertical
Max framerate = 30 fps
Variable Frame Rate = Supported
8x8 transform = Supported
CABAC = Supported
Max B-Frames = 16
Max Reference Frames = 5
Weighted P-Frames = Supported
SubPixel ME & Mode decision = 10, QPRD in all frames
Trellis = used default, "encode only"

Audio AC3 = not supported
Audio AAC = Supported

Native Filetype MKV = not supported
Native Filetype MP4 = supported

You can find some players that will allow for MKV play, without hardware acceleration, but I always give up on the extremely poor quality of this solution.

This little device has some impressive CPU/GPU power with regard to video playing and I'm really surprised to see things like CABAC, Weighted P-frames, and B-frames with native hardware support on an Android device.

Thanks, I'm going to try these settings.

I wish I knew what any of these terms meant, but I'm too lazy to look into it all. It's nice to have someone post what they used. I'll just assume you know what you're talking about. :)

Upvote 0
Rube, even though the Triumph was capable of playing this high quality video, I must confess, I still use the settings from my post(s) over in this thread (for the optimus V).

http://androidforums.com/lg-optimus-v/397632-video-formats.html

All of my video files have been encoded twice, resulting in (2) files per title. (1) encode was to maintain the full Blu-ray quality in MKV format, and then (1) for any portable device in a more universal MP4 format. The settings linked to above are for my portable devices, and look just fine on any screen 10" or less, yet have a fairly small file size footprint for the micro-sd card storage.

My hopes are that someday our portable devices will have enough storage and hardware power to where I can dump the small MP4's and just play MKV.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones