• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help mount as mass storage

What HTC is doing? Its sitting with a finger in its butt. I totally understand how frustrating it is and on the top of that due to some kind of configuration AirDroid and similar programs do not work. I reset my phone to factory setting hoping that I messed up something but no, its HTC that messed up everything in an attempt to control everything like iPhone and iTunes. The only problem is, iTunes is tons refined program (although I hate it) than their poorly written HTC Sync Manager.

Now how do you solve this problem? Uninstall HTC Sync Manager using good uninstaller like Revo Uninstaller. Get rid of all registry entries that Revo tells you, then perform regular cleaning operations like CCleaner, PrivaZer or programs of your choice. Restart the computer.

Install HTC Driver. Restart the computer.
Connect your phone and wait for a while. It goes through a process of identifying device and blah blah. Depending on your computer, it could take as long as 15 minutes. At the same time, HTC Sync Manager drive may become visible and depending on your autorun settings, it may even show you HTC Sync Manager installer first screen. DO NOT CONTINUE PAST AGREEING TO THE USER AGREEMENT. At around that time, it will update your previously installed HTC drivers and then quit the installer. Restart the computer and now you should be able to use your phone as USB disk.

This is almost what I did. Actually, I went way more than agreeing to the user agreement but by then noticed the USB disk available in Windows Explorer so quit installer in between. If you are watchful, you will avoid what I did. Just be patient. Let me know if this works for you.

And yes, I too share your sentiment of moving to Samsung (but not iPhone). May be just Nexus 4.

Airdroid worked brilliantly for me. The thing is why tf should we need to do that. It should be just plug in, drop in the box and bingo. Ridiculous.

Upvote 0
Threads merged. :)

I wouldn't disable USB Debugging either, I don't believe it makes much difference to how the PC picks up the phone. If anything, it should improve the chances of the PC being able to talk properly.

USB Debugging somehow got turned off and Windows 8 could no tlonger access my HTC's internal storage. It looks like it should be left on! :thinking:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones