• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help MTP Connected

Good Morning my new found Andriod Forum Friends :)

Firstly (in advance) thank you for looking at my post, i do hope some of you have had this issue as i have searched everywhere to no avail...

Basically i recently updated my Orange UK SG2 to 2.3.5 via Kies - No problems at all!

However today i thought i would just connect my phone to Kies and when i plugged my phone to the usb cable into laptop, i noticed it came up with "MTP Utilising" in the top status bar, and then "MTP Connected".

However the Home screen didnt enter the normal 'lock mode' where you can press the home button to exit, instead says on the normal home screen with the MTP connected, in the top left corner.

I have tried to connect via Mass storage USB and even checked the UDB debugging mode, all to no avail...

this is really annoying and i can't figure out what i am doing wrong, please could someone help.

Many thanks,

Alex

Hi Alex. Welcome to Android Forums! :)

First, if you still have it in debugging mode, turn that off for now. Then unplug the USB cable if it's plugged in, go to menu>settings>wireless & networks>USB Utilities and enable Storage. Then you can plug into your PC and mount as storage.

I don't know what the update does to Kies as Kies in the US is only the mini version for updates only and from what I can see doesn't work with 2.3.4 or later.

Upvote 0
Thank Lunatic, what a super fast reply!

This was the first thing i tried, but Kies in the Uk (which i have the latest version available) says that MTP connection is not recongised by this program.

I have not fiddled with any settings and have had no problems before, and like i mentioned even upgraded to the latest 2.3.5 firmware...its so infuriating!!!!

I have never seen this MTP connected status before, normally when i plug phone into usb cable it automatically enters the lock screen (where you have to press menu key to exit)

:(

Upvote 0
Thank Lunatic, what a super fast reply!

This was the first thing i tried, but Kies in the Uk (which i have the latest version available) says that MTP connection is not recongised by this program.

I have not fiddled with any settings and have had no problems before, and like i mentioned even upgraded to the latest 2.3.5 firmware...its so infuriating!!!!

I found this. Don't know if it will work or not.

I have never seen this MTP connected status before, normally when i plug phone into usb cable it automatically enters the lock screen (where you have to press menu key to exit)

:(

That's the way 2.2 worked with my Galaxy S, the S2 came with 2.3.4 and has never connected to kies.

Upvote 0
Thanks Lunatic,

I have tried to be a good Newbie and search previous posts, and did stumble apon this, and did try, to no avail...

im tempted to cry and throw my phone against my living room wall!!!! ;)

I can't belive im the only person in the world who is facing this problem, although the post you point out in your link, does sound very similar...but no fix (booo!)

Upvote 0
One more thing, and I totally forgot this ... Are you using an alternate launcher like Go Launcher or Launcher Pro? Kies will only connect using TouchWiz.

No you don't. I am using Go launcher and it can connect to Kies. But still on 2.3.3 though.

The problem is with 2.3.5 apparently but I can't help since don't have that. But I am sure somebody does. Just wait awhile. The problem is a lot of those having 2.3.5 flashed them much earlier and don't use Kies as such.

Good luck

Upvote 0
cheers boys, I do suspect it is something to do with the standard 2.3.5 update, but I am worrying now as my sg2 will simply not connect to kies now, I may never be able to update again lol...

if I connect using usb mass storage then I can move things from sd card to PC, but kies will still not register that device is connected....

I have also noticed that I need to re download Samsung driver from windows update, however the update will only download when device is connected, but as above it Will not download, just stays at zero percent and then error try again, with this stupid mtp connected is on....

Upvote 0
I Updated my Samsung galaxy S2 to Android Version 2.3.4 - GINGERBREAD.XWKI4 - I did this by going on, Settings > About phone > Software Update > Update. Which automatically updated it for me to this new software.

As soon as my phone started i got a MTP pop-up saying my phone is charging. I switched my phone off and it had a yellow triangle saying my phone was overheated. (when it wasnt)
My phone doesnt get the MTP message anymore but I cannot switch my phone off anymore, it just restarts.
Can anyone help me with this issue? and did I do my Android software update the wrong way?

Amal

Upvote 0
FYI, I just got Kies to connect using the MTP connection. I too was getting a "device not supported" or unable to load service on device" error. Here's what I did...

First, I cleared defaults for ADW launcher and set TouchWiz to the default. Then I shut down the phone.

I unsinstalled Kies, because it had updated to 2.1 and the Samsung website said 2.03 was compatible with my phone. I reinstalled Kies and did NOT update it to 2.1. Plugged in the phone and let it fail. I then went to tools and performed the troubleshooting which reinstalls the drivers. I disconnected the phone and rebooted both the phone and the PC. When both had completed, I started Kies and then plugged in the phone.

Windows displayed that the driver had failed to install, but the Phone showed up in Kies and now connects fine. Screwy, but it worked.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones