• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Music Lag

MohMoh

Lurker
Oct 8, 2009
Hey guys,
hopefully some of you intelligent fellows out there will be able to help me out with a small issue I've been having with my newly acquired HTC Hero (ROM has been updated, 2.73.405.5).

Well, as stated in the title of this thread, I have a small problem concerning the music player. While it plays fine while using it, it's when I'm not using it trouble occurs. If I start playing a song, and then put the phone in "sleep-mode" (?) using the power button, i usually get some terrible lags or chopping in the music. It's pretty random how long it lasts until it starts playing normally again. It's also pretty random how long it takes before it starts acting up again.
Funny thing is, if I put on a tune, and just let the phone sit (no putting it to sleep), the song will play fine, even when the phone automatically goes sleep-mode. However, once the song is over and the next starts playing, the lag issues come right back.

Anyone have any idead what might be causing this? Do i have to update something else aswell before this phone runs optimal?
Could some app be the cause? I've installed several, and can actually remember being able to listen to music flawlessly before installing some of them.

Using TaskManager, I've just now realized that while the phone is in sleep-mode, the Android-system process' CPU usage skyrockets to >60%. Once I leave the sleep-mode the CPU usage of this process returns to normal (around 0% mostly).

Baseband version: 63.18.55.06EU_6.35.06.18
Kernel version: 2.6.27-8dd6deee htc-kernel@and18-2 )
Build number: 2.73.405.5 146733 CL#61267 MCR2.2e release-keys
Software version: 1.0.0.A6288

Applications:
3g watchdog
91Pandahome (Installed, but i don't use yet)
AK Notepad
Aldiko
Android lightsaber
ASTRO
Barcode Scanner
Battery Widget
Better Terminal Emulator
Calculator
Dwar!
Facebook
FXcamera
Gmote
Google Sky Map
gTasks
Lumbricidae
Mybackup
Trolly

Upvote 0
Well, I actually solved the problem shortly after posting it in here. I uninstalled a few of the apps I had installed and the CPU usage of android-system was drastically reduced in sleep-mode. There were only a few, most of them, if not all, were ASTRO and Battery widget. I would suggest (vicked) that you uninstall one of the two, and see if your problem continues. If so, try uninstalling the other aswell, and we might just get to the bottom of what's causing this issue.

Good luck.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones