• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Music player for android that doesn't brick phone

I have just had a hell of a time finding a music player that reads off the SD card and doesn't crap itself randomly and force me to spend countless hours with battery pulls, force restarts and formatting my SD card completely. Mixzing, stock player and others just sit on the "android loading symbol" when trying to read songs, and stay there anywhere from minutes to hours, where the phone locks up and I have to force restart.

I have a Droid X2, but this also happened regularly on my old Droid 2. Its just painful how much time I have dumped into trying to get my phone to do a simple task- play music- that I might just get an iPhone when my contract ends in a few months. I hate the iPhone, but its a much better alternative than spending 8 hours straight trying to add songs to a phone...

I've downloaded about 5 different music players- all of them freeze up before opening and I can't get them to open. Mixzing, Cubed, PowerAmp, Doubletwist.... this is unreal. My SD card isn't even mounted atm. They just refuse to open.

How would I fix a "corrupt" SD card? I've already formatted it and tried to open these apps with the card unmounted numerous times. Nothing works.

Upvote 0
How would I fix a "corrupt" SD card? I've already formatted it and tried to open these apps with the card unmounted numerous times. Nothing works.

You can try some of these suggestions:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=367912

Does the X2 use internal memory or removable SD cards? If the SD card is removable, just try loading the music from a different card.

You could also try a factory reset of your device.

Upvote 0
I don't believe in "fixing" SD cards ... When one starts giving you trouble? There is a Bad Moon on The Rise and you are going to get screwed at some point.

Try Subsonic and their demo server. I bet it behaves ... costs you nothing to try.

Definitely. I don't think a corrupted SD card can be fixed, but if he's out of options, he doesn't have anything to lose.

Upvote 0
Yeah man ... I posted on another thread that I had an issue with a rather large, expensive (and out of warranty) SD card. Fixing that card took over my life for days - and in the end? I lost about 5 solid hours of my life - and I'd wished I'd just chucked it :)

Definitely. I don't think a corrupted SD card can be fixed, but if he's out of options, he doesn't have anything to lose.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones