• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I keep seeing all these posts for swype but when I search for it in the market its doesn't show up. Is it only for 2.1 users?

Swype is still in beta form, and is sold directly to the phone manufacturer. On their website, if you sign up, you can be beta tester, but that's closed :( The XDA forums have leaked versions of Swype that you can download.

Upvote 0
i'm looking for calorie counter app. the newest version 1.13 no longer does ww points and my wife really wants this feature back. anyone have an earlier version that was NOT updated since 4/30?

Read the reviews for the new update and A LOT of people were complaning about no WW. I didn't update, if you can tell me how to send the .apk file, I can give it to you. :)

Upvote 0

Oh dear...ADB for dummies is still confusing for my poor brain :( and it seems you need to root your device to install ADB...is there no app for this? XD I have my apps stored on my MicroSD card with Quick System Info app...I'm not sure but I thought I can access the .apk file from the backup folder? :thinking:

Upvote 0
Oh dear...ADB for dummies is still confusing for my poor brain :( and it seems you need to root your device to install ADB...is there no app for this? XD I have my apps stored on my MicroSD card with Quick System Info app...I'm not sure but I thought I can access the .apk file from the backup folder? :thinking:

ASTRO File Manager may work (I'm pretty confident that it will)

when you open it, you will have to:
1. push the "UP" button which will take you to the "root" folder (it will show only a "/" when you look at the top) of the phone.
2. click on the system folder
3. click on the app folder.
4. long press on the app you want to copy,
5. select edit,
6. select copy.
7. then push the "UP" button again til you get back to that "/" folder,
8. go to your SDCard,
9. click on edit (at the top)
10. then paste....

otherwise, if they are already stored on the sdcard, just skip the steps i listed and upload the file in your next post (its under the "additional options") at the bottom of the page when you are replying to a message

Upvote 0
Mine seem boring compared to others. And I'm trying not to repeat from other's posts:

Bump - Great for transfer pictures and contact info. I send pics to my IPod Touch, as well as my kids'.

Better Keyboard - I like that i can customize it so much. Got the Alabama Crimson Tide theme going now.

Pic Say - You should see the crazy bubble quotes I put on people's pics.

Smart Vibrator - My phone is ALWAYS set to vibrate. Now I can customize the vibrate to alert me as to if it's a text/call, and who's texting/calling.

Uninstaller - Makes it so much easier and quicker to uninstall useless apps.

Where - Locate places while I'm traveling

Air Horn - Use it to scare the crap outta my kids

Milage - Tracks my gas milage.

Seesmic - Best Twitter app for me, nice and easy

Upvote 0

its much simpler than they are making it out.
go into astro and hit menu and go to tools.
go to app manager/backup
check the box for whichever app you want and hit backup.

now the apk is in a file called Backups on your SD card.
plug your phone into the computer and just drag and drop the file onto your desktop or wherever

Upvote 0
AppBrain

Auto Mount

Dolphin Browser - fairly easy browser to use. Really I'd love to see Chrome for Andorid. Is Google even working on this?

Google Sky Map - just fun.

Handcent SMS

Music Junk - not sure how it's legal, but it can find and play just about any song. Even an option to download.

PdaNet

Screebl - It keeps my screen from timing out based on the orientation of the phone, nice when the charger is plugged in and phone is in the holder in the car and i have Pandora playing or I'm using maps - don't have to keep turning on the phone to check the song/title or figure out where I am on the map.

Shazam

SMS Backup - All of my txt msg are backed up to my gmail acct. (Just added "Delete Old Messages", hope that the combo will keep my phone clean but at the same time I'll have access to all those old SMS messages if I ever need them.)

Smart Vibrator - The Eris seems to have a weak vibe, so adding a custom pattern seems to help me notice it a lot more.

Pandora

Gmail Unread Count - a widget that tells you how many unread emails are in you gmail acct.

Upvote 0
Tag todo list - excellent, full-featured, free hierarchical task list.

Attachments

• tag_todo_qr.jpg
    tag_todo_qr.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 751
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones