• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

MXQ Pro 5.1.1 issues with Play Store

WildWind

Jan 15, 2015
Hi all,

I have just recently bought a cheap Chinese MXQ Pro box which is running 5.1.1 20160413 build. The issue is that most of the apps I tried to install in Play Store resulted in "your device isn't compatible with this version".

Is the issue with this built of 5.1.1 or they installed the wrong and incompatible firmware on this box?

Is it OK for me to flash it with the MXQ Pro firmware from Geekbuying?

Thanks.

There's nothing wrong with Lollipop 5.1.1 and it's certainly compatible with many apps, after all it's been out for long enough now. Might have problems with certain older apps, that are unsupported and haven't been updated. I would definitely check with the seller first, tell them what's happening, and before attempting to flash it with firmware from another source. Because some of them can start screaming "WARRANTY VOID!"

It's very likely the build.prop in /system, but root is required to fix that.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your reply.

I think the supplier might have modified the firmware and as a result Play Store blocked it from certain apps.

Fortunately, the firmware is already pre-rooted so I can access the build.prop file. I have sent an emailed the Chinese supplier about the issues pending a response from them.

As a last resort, I will flash it with the firmware from Geekbuying for the same hardware device.

Does anyone know if the Geekbuying firmware are pre-rooted?

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones