• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My android toasted, need suggestions on a cheap App machine

redfishsc

Oct 10, 2011
Living room
I've been using an old HTC Hero as, basically, a small App machine and "iPod touch".

Mostly I listen to music and online lectures with it while I'm working, and play Chess. Other misc apps as well (unit conversions, note pad, etc). I use my cheap flip-phone for calls/texts--- I'm NOT paying $30+ per month for 3G data.

I'm not a heavy duty user, although a GPS option would be very nice (no 3G access, I do NOT want another monthly bill.

I need something that I can slip in my shirt pocket but I also want something reliable and that has Wi-Fi (I know most of them do).

Are basically all Android phones useable if they aren't activated as a phone? Meaning, if I bought something from Craigslist at random, can I be confident that it will work as a non-activated phone like my old HTC Hero?

If you have something for sale (no more than $75 or so) that is in GOOD shape (normal wear OK), feel free to PM me.

I'd say look for something with a ~3.5" screen that's really light and has expandable memory. If your old Hero was enough, take a look at the Wildfire S. It's small, light, decently powered, and has a micro sd slot for adding lots of music. Also, a brief look through eBay seems you can get one for well under $100.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones