• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root My computer doesn't connect with my Nook Color. "Can't find device drivers" etc..

Hi, I put gingerbread on my brand new NC (well not me personally, I'm not very techy) and it works great- apps, web browsing, "tablety" feel etc. I wanted to put an ebook on it from my pc and it's not working. PC can't find device drivers etc. What can I do to get my NC and PC connected?
ps. Just reading through other forums, a lot of people talked about the sd card and such. I have been trying to do this without the sd card in my NC. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you:)

What pc do you have, Windows? (XP, Vista, Windows7... which?)

All you should have to do is plug it into your usb port, (assuming that works :D) and open the status bar on your NC and choose the usb connect option.

When done, again change it from the status bar, then go to the "Safely remove hardware" icon by the clock in your computer and remove your Nook Color. Only after Windows says it's safe to remove should you pull the plug on it. That way you don't corrupt the file system on it. :D

Reactions: christy242
Upvote 0
I've got windows vista. I don't see a status bar anywhere on my nook. There is a notification and it says USB debugging connected, but nowhere to choose the usb connect option. I've looked into setting and preferences. I'm running go launcher if that helps anything. My PC just can't find the drivers or something. Maybe because it's rooted? IDK??
(my computer knows it's there, it says "nook" on device manager)

Upvote 0
You might try rebooting your NC and computer or use a different USB port (like one on the back of the computer).

"Can't find the drivers" sounds like a problem with your NC or computer or cable. Something is wrong with one of them. You might also try a different computer to figure out which one isn't working correctly.

Did it ever work? Once it connects properly, you should have an item next to the usb "debugging message" (that is the status bar :D) that you can tap to connect your NC as drive letters to your computer.

Upvote 0
I just connected my NC to my wife's laptop (Vista), which has never had one connected before and I got the "new hardware" dialog and was also unsuccessful trying to install drivers.

BUT, once I turned on USB storage in my NC, it was able to see it. (Tap "USB connected" message in status bar.) You'll see 1 or 2 driver letters show up in "My Computer" on your computer. One will be the sdcard, the other the internal storage on your Nook. Usually you copy files to the sdcard. :D

If that doesn't work, maybe it's time to have the techy person who set it up for you, take a look at it. :D

Upvote 0
Okay- In 'my computer' I do see 2 driver letters (removable disk g and removable disk h) show up shortly after I plug it into the usb. So what do I do now? (I don't have an sd card in it) If I try to do anything it says "Please insert a disk into removable drive.." With my NC running CM7 I don't have the same status stuff a stock NC has, status bars etc... It says "USB debugging connected" on my notification bar and if i tap on that it just has boxes to turn off the usb debugging and other stuff not related. IDK! My son is the techy one who rooted it and he's been gone all day to work and with it being Friday I wont see him until late! I just want to put a book on it! lol!
Thanks!

Upvote 0
Oh yeah, Friday night... nothing constructive will be done until at least noon tomorrow. :D

I'm running essentially the same rom as you, tho maybe a slightly newer version. All the versions are the same tho, if your Nook can see the computer connection, it will throw message on the notification bar. Until that notice is tapped, those drive letters will be unusable.

Can you unplug the sdcard from your NC and insert it into your computer and copy the book to it?

Upvote 0
Hello folks, I just got my Nook Color today running CM7. I finally found this post and christy242's problems sounds very similar to mine. I hooked up my NC to my Mac and was was able to mount the drives perfectly, then I ejected and I haven't been able to hook it up to my computer (I also tried on PC) after numerous tries. I have tried different builds, restoring the settings, different cards, ect and the NC will only charge not connect. The status bar remains empty of any USB notifications except the "USB Debugging Connect" option.

Will my NC eventually be found like christy's NC? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Upvote 0
What version of CM7 did you install?

I use dropbox on my pc and 2 Nooks and my phone and use that to move little files around so haven't needed to connect to my pc for some time until I wanted to get some pics off my phone.

Without the status bar notification, it's hard to say what's going on. Are you using the Nook cable? Is it in good condition?

Reactions: idsoftwar3
Upvote 0
Hello, thank you colchiro for your quick reply, I appreciate your help on the forums. You were dead on, my cable I got today was bitten by my dog but was able to charge yet not hook up to the computer. I used my original Nook (e-ink) cord and realized my dog had gotten into that too. Then I used an undamaged mini-SD cord and it WORKED/ status bar popped up with usb storage.

The condition of the cord was def. the problem even if it was charging the NC, I think Chrisy's NC cord was just positioned awkwardly. Thank you so much for your help.

Upvote 0
Glad you got it figured out. I was under the impression they were fragile before you mentioned dogs. :D

The NC cord is rated for 2 amps, the same as your charger, however most usb cables are only good for up to 1 amp on a good day.

Your NC will charge a lot faster if you get another B&N cord, which I think they stock now. I wouldn't count on finding one anywhere else tho. I've seen chargers that said they were made for the NC and they were only 1 amp. They may work, but not as good as the one that came with your tablet.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones