• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help My DInc touchscreen is dying... what are my options?

brigand

Nov 28, 2010
I got my DInc in June of 2010. Love it. Several months ago, part of the touchscreen failed, but it was still possible to use. A couple weeks ago, another section failed, and now it's getting a bit tricky to use.

I've been eligible for my "new-every-2" for quite a while now, but I really don't want to upgrade. Even if I could get a phone for "free," I don't want to pay the new $30 fee. I also don't want to lose my unlimited plan. Plus, I've sunk a lot of money into my DInc- 3500mAh battery, case, extra-long charging cable, TV-out, and 32GB micro-SD card.

Ideally, I'd just get this one repaired, on the cheap. I believe the failing touchscreen means the phone's digitizer is failing. Replacement kits are cheap, but it looks like a tricky operation. I'm willing to try, but I'd feel better if someone qualified could fix it. Are there places that will do this?

The phone has failed to update to Gingerbread, for, wow, I guess a year now! I've run the update over 100 times but it never works (never really cared either). After the 5th time this happened, I just ignored it. Stupidly, I never got around to calling Verizon to see if they'd send me a replacement with Gingerbread because I was lazy. I'll give Verizon a call, but what do you think my chances are of just getting a brand new DInc?

Boy, I really am a lazy idiot. Just realized I've been paying $1.99/month for the Extended Warranty. Apparently my phone can be exchanged for an "identical or comparable model." Probably should've done this months ago.

I really want to just keep using a DInc. I'll explore the failed Gingerbread update and Extended Warranty routes, but if those won't net me a new DInc, what do you think I should do? Just bite the bullet and upgrade? What phones do y'all recommend?

Also, even though my 2-year contract has expired and I have not renewed, I'm apparently still paying the same amount per month. Will this continue, or will I eventually be charged more?

Thanks! :)

Your chances of getting a new Dinc are slim and none. I'm pretty certain they went out of production some time ago. I agree with the poster above... Ebay might be an option for a replacement . You also mentioned a professional repair to your Dinc. I think if you look in your phone book for phone repair centers... you should find a number of establishments if you are close to a city of some size.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones