• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help My EVO's Crashing.

Herf N Turf

Jun 26, 2011
Hey Guys,

Had my EVO since July and it's started crashing all the time. The first time, I was charging in the car, talking on the phone and using my Nav. The phone felt very hot and so, I am assuming this is a heat related issue.

Build: 2
Android: 2.3.3 GB
Flashed to Boost Mobile
I have four different batteries: 2x Chichitech 1900mAh, 1x Generic 1800mAh, HTC OEM 1500mAh (same issue regardless of battery)

It seems to happen during heavy use; browsing, playing Live Hold'em Pro, >30min calls. At first, it was a very rare occurrence, but now, seems to be increasing in frequency.

I tend to keep screen on auto during the day and turn down very low in the house, at night.

Thanks in advance!!

Hey Guys,

Had my EVO since July and it's started crashing all the time. The first time, I was charging in the car, talking on the phone and using my Nav. The phone felt very hot and so, I am assuming this is a heat related issue.

Flashed to Boost Mobile
I have four different batteries: 2x Chichitech 1900mAh, 1x Generic 1800mAh, HTC OEM 1500mAh (same issue regardless of battery)

It seems to happen during heavy use; browsing, playing Live Hold'em Pro, >30min calls. At first, it was a very rare occurrence, but now, seems to be increasing in frequency.

I tend to keep screen on auto during the day and turn down very low in the house, at night.

Thanks in advance!!
not sure what build mine was, but i had this issue where my phone would get hot then reboot randomly. it started out doing it only a few times but then it became more and more frequently so that i had to take it in and get it replaced. it is most likely a hardware issue.

Reactions: ndh777
Upvote 0
Hey Guys,

Flashed to Boost Mobile

Thanks in advance!!

Is the phone rooted?

I would suggest avoiding any Android Task Managers and manage apps by yourself in the Settings>Applications>Running Services area. Kill apps from here and only those that you absolutely know like Live Hold'em and not ones that you are unfamiliar with. This should help slow freezes on the phone.

Also try rebooting the phone more often. Reboots are good for phones and by a reboot, I mean a manual like shutting it down and leaving it off for a while then powering back on later by yourself. On reboots, it would also be a great idea to open the battery and take it out and let the phone air out for a while to keep it from overheating.

Mine has been having some overheating issues too but it seems to be slowing down. I used to leave my phone on a charger for hours even after it was done charging and recently I've stopped doing that as much as I think it heats the battery and phone more so than off the charger.

This sounds like an overheating issue which might be covered under insurance if this problem is too much for you to take and you'd rather take your chances with a replacement.

Upvote 0
Thanks nhd!

No, phone's not rooted and running on 2.3.3 with latest update. (4?)

I don't have any task killers and do shut everything down manually. I keep the screen off during phone calls and on the lowest brightness allowable by our local star.

I rarely plug the phone into the wall, but simply swap batteries (I have 4). I use two htc OEM batteries and two chichitec 1900mAh batteries. The issue doesn't support a battery-specific theory.

I've never experienced the seemingly popular "freeze". Only the crash issue. Hold'em seems like a well-built app that does a good job of self termination. It's never running when I look.

I installed Temp+CPU V2 in order to keep watch over battery temps. I seem to idle around 26-28C, but I spike rapidly when talking or browsing / playing poker. I see temps as high as 38C, but will crash as low as 34C.

The only thing that seems to help is to remove the case and the battery cover and hold it in front of an AC vent, or other cold air source. This is maddening, to say the least.

I am not on a Sprint contract, but rather flashed to Boost. I have no insurance, or other warranty plan. I'm not intimidated by hardware, so I wouldn't mind replacing the mid board, but I really have no idea, which component could be causing the over heat. I'm relatively certain that there's a cap, or op amp in there that's malf'ing, but with no testing equipment, I'll never find it.

I'd happily send it back to htc for repair / replace, but everything on their website says, "don't bother us, bother Sprint!"

Upvote 0
Thanks nhd!

No, phone's not rooted and running on 2.3.3 with latest update. (4?)

I don't have any task killers and do shut everything down manually. I keep the screen off during phone calls and on the lowest brightness allowable by our local star.

I rarely plug the phone into the wall, but simply swap batteries (I have 4). I use two htc OEM batteries and two chichitec 1900mAh batteries. The issue doesn't support a battery-specific theory.

I've never experienced the seemingly popular "freeze". Only the crash issue. Hold'em seems like a well-built app that does a good job of self termination. It's never running when I look.

I installed Temp+CPU V2 in order to keep watch over battery temps. I seem to idle around 26-28C, but I spike rapidly when talking or browsing / playing poker. I see temps as high as 38C, but will crash as low as 34C.

The only thing that seems to help is to remove the case and the battery cover and hold it in front of an AC vent, or other cold air source. This is maddening, to say the least.

I am not on a Sprint contract, but rather flashed to Boost. I have no insurance, or other warranty plan. I'm not intimidated by hardware, so I wouldn't mind replacing the mid board, but I really have no idea, which component could be causing the over heat. I'm relatively certain that there's a cap, or op amp in there that's malf'ing, but with no testing equipment, I'll never find it.

I'd happily send it back to htc for repair / replace, but everything on their website says, "don't bother us, bother Sprint!"

I'm sorry to hear that none of that works for you. Well, hopefully something works. I do leave mine in front of the fan sometimes too and that seems to help but it is bothersome lol

Hopefully something will come through for you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones