• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My Incredible screen shattered from falling 2 ft on the back!

Damn, that sucks. Mine slid out of my pocket and fell about two feet (I was tying my shoe), but I walked away with only a small scuff/scratch on the plastic.

I've dropped mine twice now. Fell out of my hip holster/case combo actually. I was wearing it with the clip sideways (BTW, the clip rotates if anyone didn't know). First was face first and second was top first. Phone is fine. All I got was a slight scuff on the top corner from the second fall.

I am now back to wearing it facing straight up and down again. I definitely recommend getting a case for this phone.

Upvote 0
I think the problem was with the cases you were using to protect your phone. I recently found a case that is water-proof and allowed my phone to survive a 6ft. drop onto my wet (read as: 1" under water) river-pebble/concrete aggregate driveway.

My Incredible sustained a very icky knick on the corner of the device, near the power button, but other than acting quirky until it was hard-reset and recalibrated, it's been acting fine since...

I'm probably going to end up taking it back tomorrow for another anyways considering it's only a couple days old and I don't know if there would even *BE* any remanufactured devices to stick me with yet... right? RIGFHT!?!?!

Oh, yea, here's the ultra affordable, water-proof cases I were talking about.

Bagettes Heavy Duty Reclosable Bags - 3''x5''

Upvote 0
I'm getting a case, and need to soon... This thing is waaaay too thin for my comfort level. It really doesn't want to stay in my hands or my pockets.

Is the Otterbox line of cases pretty good? I'm kind of leaning towards a plastic/gel style case or cover, because it wouldn't come out of my pockets too easily and would be more comfortable to hold. On the flip side, seems like they wouldn't protect much from falls on pavement or anything. Maybe, just maybe, they'd actually be better by absorbing and redistributing the energy from a fall.

Is any of this making sense or am I just rambling? lol

Upvote 0
I'm getting a case, and need to soon... This thing is waaaay too thin for my comfort level. It really doesn't want to stay in my hands or my pockets.

Is the Otterbox line of cases pretty good? I'm kind of leaning towards a plastic/gel style case or cover, because it wouldn't come out of my pockets too easily and would be more comfortable to hold. On the flip side, seems like they wouldn't protect much from falls on pavement or anything. Maybe, just maybe, they'd actually be better by absorbing and redistributing the energy from a fall.

Is any of this making sense or am I just rambling? lol
The Otterbox cases are big they take away the sleekness of the phone, but nothing else protects like them, especially if you work in an outside or harsh enviorment they are a must.

Upvote 0
I dropped mine off my lap (while sitting) onto a thinly carpeted floor last night during a meeting. It has the gradient case on it. I didn't see how it fell (my eyes were closed because I was leading a prayer), but it sounded like it rolled a bit, so I think it landed on a corner. :eek:

Only about an 18" fall, but no damage to the phone or case. Just thought I'd report.

Upvote 0
I was at my new neighbor's house yesterday evening, and his Labrador's ever-wagging tail knocked my Inc off of the patio table, and into the grass. I watched in slow motion as the phone tumbled through the air, clearing the concrete by less than two inches... Then it bounced into a pile of fresh poo.

So, it didn't break, but I spent the better part of an hour getting dog junk out of the usb port- battery out, with a toothpick, rubbing alcohol, and a Q-Tip.

Another casualty of the Infamous Labrador Incident, was my Sam Adam's Cherry Wheat beer. It went flying as well, but it didn't clear the patio. :(

Funeral services for the beer are being held tonight, with me drinking the rest of the 6-pack from the "missing man" formation.

FYI: Sam Adams doesn't use Gorilla Glass.

Reactions: bhill
Upvote 0
I was at my new neighbor's house yesterday evening, and his Labrador's ever-wagging tail knocked my Inc off of the patio table, and into the grass. I watched in slow motion as the phone tumbled through the air, clearing the concrete by less than two inches... Then it bounced into a pile of fresh poo.

So, it didn't break, but I spent the better part of an hour getting dog junk out of the usb port- battery out, with a toothpick, rubbing alcohol, and a Q-Tip.

Another casualty of the Infamous Labrador Incident, was my Sam Adam's Cherry Wheat beer. It went flying as well, but it didn't clear the patio. :(

Funeral services for the beer are being held tonight, with me drinking the rest of the 6-pack from the "missing man" formation.

FYI: Sam Adams doesn't use Gorilla Glass.

I was under the impression it did....huh. Cherry Wheat FTW though.

Upvote 0
Welp looks like asurion is only charging me 30 something bucks for deductible which isnt bad. I ordered a body glove case too just now, so by tomorrow i will have the new replacement incredible and the case so i should be set. I realize how terrible the Blackberry Storm is now that i have had my incredible for a couple days, i am stuck with it until tomorrow.

I hope Asurion doesnt want the battery or accessories, that would compensate for the deductible.

Upvote 0
I fully intend to get a good silicon cover for mine but don't like the option provided by Verizon. I wanted to wait until some new options became available but I don't want to wait tooooo long. I also have a habit of dropping my phone.

I guess I should also research some insurance. Where do you even get insurance on a phone?

Upvote 0
I fully intend to get a good silicon cover for mine but don't like the option provided by Verizon. I wanted to wait until some new options became available but I don't want to wait tooooo long. I also have a habit of dropping my phone.

I guess I should also research some insurance. Where do you even get insurance on a phone?

Mine is through Asurion. It was a stock option when i pre-ordered my phone through Verizon's website.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones